Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860n Router WAN2 'Technicolor TG588v' Router as Modem

• rotawheelsuk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jan 2017 12:54 #1 by rotawheelsuk
Hi helpful and clever people of the Draytek forum!

I have hit a bit of a problem.

Our connection keeps dropping when using the WAN1 port directly to our master socket. We have changed everything, including the socket - but it's not helped.

Our ISP has now sent us this router to 'test and see if it stops the dropouts' - which in theory sounds great.

In practice the 2860n is setup with statis IPs and various other bits of setup that mean I want to keep it being my router.

The Technicolor I want to use as a Modem only really, so no DHCP or anything like that going on.

I cannot figure out how to make this work with the 2860n I have. I know I plug it in via Ethernet to WAN2. I can plug the TG588v in, and access it on my network now I have given it a local IP address - so it's working that far.

When I take the plug from the 2860n from the master socket and plug it into the TG588v my connection drops out, and does not come back - although the TG855v is connecting to the internet, that internet is not making it through the WAN2 ethernet port on the back of the 2860n out into my wider network. I have set the TG588v to bridge mode, and it's still not working as I would have expected / hoped. This is making me frustrated.

Could somebody please point me in the right direction? I have downloaded the manual for the 2860n but it's not proving helpful - it tells me where settings are, and what they do... but not which combination will achieve my goal.

Thank you for your help, I'll likely be around as long as it takes to get this solved, so please reply when you can and I'll pick it up! Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rotawheelsuk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jan 2017 17:26 #2 by rotawheelsuk
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-btfttc-openreachmodem?return=8929791

That does it.

Set the other router in 'bridge mode' and you're away it seems.

Not sure what I missed the first time, but as I struggled on here to search the solution out hopefully this might be useful for somebody :)

More
27 Jan 2017 18:00 #3 by jedi98
By the way, in case you want to pursue WAN1, I had exactly this on 3 separate VDSL lines in 3 towns (all in Essex). Lots of testing (by me) and the fix was to swap to the VT1 variant of the firmware. It gives me a stable, full speed line, which stays up all the time on 2 out of 3 of the lines. The third one has line quality problems due to old BT cabling.

Either modem code in the VT1 version seems to work but I have stuck with the 566207. The only concision I came to is that some BT cabinets in some areas have odd firmware installed.

Form the Diagnostics >> DSL Status: -
Code:
ATU-R Information Type: VDSL2 Hardware: Annex A Firmware: 05-06-06-02-00-07 Power Mngt Mode: DSL_G997_PMS_L0 Line State: SHOWTIME Running Mode: 17A Vendor ID: b5004946 544e0000 ATU-C Information Vendor ID: b5004244 434da48c [BDCM]