DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

What FW update for 2860ac with ordinary broadband?

• theia
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jan 2017 16:04 #1 by theia
Hi Guys

Could someone who is knowlegable please advise me the best FW update for my 2860ac?
I am not using Fibre yet, still a slow 4mb/s broadband, but the cabling is now only a mile away and getting closer... ... but I dont want to just twiddle my fingers with no internet :)

Also I dont know what Vector means in the context of the router - could someone briefly let me know what the difference is between :
BT Formal release
(548006) non vector
(567517) vector 1
(574307) vector 2
(576D17) vector 3

Is it some sort of adjustment or recognition of the type of signal being provided? If so I guess I will need to update later on to different FW when Fibre gets to our house sometime at the end of the year?

Thanks in advance

T.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2017 20:28 #2 by gbrown100
Hiya,

Just flash with the latest recommended, it will work just fine.

Vector is a VDSL technology, you're safe to ignore it as it will only get used if enabled on the line which as your ADSL it won't be.

Thanks

Graham

• theia
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jan 2017 18:03 #3 by theia

gbrown100 wrote: Hiya,

Just flash with the latest recommended, it will work just fine.

Vector is a VDSL technology, you're safe to ignore it as it will only get used if enabled on the line which as your ADSL it won't be.

Thanks

Graham

Thank you Graham. Much appreciated.

Later this week I hope to take it to a friend's house who has Virgin Fibre at around 100mbps - and a 'Virgin Hub'.

There are only 5 devices connected to the hub at the moment - and I would like to try and use the 2860ac as the principle device assigning local IP addresses, seccurity, etc.
I had in mind simply connecting an ethernet cable between the 2860ac and the hub, and configuriong the 2860. I was told the cable connection might not be is not the same as a BT connection.
So, if I do this, what would be the key settings to change or check on the 2860?

T.

More
31 Jan 2017 08:10 #4 by gbrown100
It depends on the type of hub, ideally you want to put the Virgin Hub in modem only mode and plug it into WAN2 of the Draytek, my understanding is that you can't do this with the latest hubs. You'll need multiple static IP addresses for this. The Hub handles authentication and you just need to put the second fixed IP address assigned to Draytek WAN2 and the default gateway of the primary public IP address that should be assigned to the modem. Either way you HAVE to use the modem as the Draytek doesn't have a cable modem built in.

Failing that you have to do something called double natting, again with WAN2 where you put the private IP address range from your Virgin Hub in the WAN2 port (assign one note used already and put the virgin's IP address as the gateway) and create a new network on the Draytek LAN.Personally I wouldn't bother in this instance as it just adds a layer of complication for very little benefit.

More
31 Jan 2017 09:56 #5 by admin3

Theia wrote: Hi Guys

Could someone who is knowlegable please advise me the best FW update for my 2860ac?
I am not using Fibre yet, still a slow 4mb/s broadband, but the cabling is now only a mile away and getting closer... ... but I dont want to just twiddle my fingers with no internet :)

Also I dont know what Vector means in the context of the router - could someone briefly let me know what the difference is between :
BT Formal release
(548006) non vector
(567517) vector 1
(574307) vector 2
(576D17) vector 3

Is it some sort of adjustment or recognition of the type of signal being provided? If so I guess I will need to update later on to different FW when Fibre gets to our house sometime at the end of the year?

Thanks in advance

T.

The router will auto-detect whether it's connected to an ADSL or VDSL connection, but connection settings for the VDSL interface may need to be configured when moving between ISPs.

I have a 2860n with ADSL2+ at home; I usually use the Vector3 or BT firmware because they have the same ADSL modem code, which seems to be the most stable with my line and gives good speeds. Technically I can also use the non-vector modem code because it's only an ADSL connection but the speeds are not quite as good as the newer modem codes.

Forum Administrator

• theia
  • Topic Author
More
28 Aug 2017 10:23 #6 by theia
Thank you admin3

Sorry I missed your reply.

Appreciate the information.

T.

Moderators: Sami