Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2920n + AP800 - Network Resources unavailable

• del
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jan 2017 17:24 #1 by del
I've had a 2920n and an AP800 in place in my house for a good long while now, and have been pretty happy so far, but now I'm beginning to ask more of my network and have hit upon something I can't seem to resolve.

The 2920n is running a wifi network, and the AP800 is in universal Repeater mode, repeating the same SSID. The wifi is, generally speaking, great - no issues.

The problem begins when I start adding things like Sonos speakers, Chromecast, DLNA etc.

For example - the Chromecast is closest to the AP800, and so joins the network there. In order to cast to it, the device I'm casting from needs to also be connected via the AP800 - if it's a client of the 2920n, the devices can't talk to each other.

My Plex server is attached to the 2920n, and if the DLNA enabled TV is connected to the AP800, no DLNA server is visible.

All the devices are on the same subnet range. What am I doing wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• weirdbeardmt
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jun 2017 12:39 #2 by weirdbeardmt
Replied by weirdbeardmt on topic Re: 2920n + AP800 - Network Resources unavailable
Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having similar issues with 2860 + 902 (in repeater mode) + Sonos - if I'm connected to the AP902 then I can't get to Sonos which is connected to main network.

• weirdbeardmt
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jun 2017 14:13 #3 by weirdbeardmt
Replied by weirdbeardmt on topic Re: 2920n + AP800 - Network Resources unavailable
I may have resolved this. Hardly satisfactory but it does seem to work. I already have power line plugs in my house, so I put one of those alongside the AP902 and then run it in AP mode instead of Universal Repeater. Same SSID and security as main network, different channel. I seem to now roam between the different networks, and all other network resources (Sonos, Synology) etc. seem to be available.

More
08 Jun 2017 15:10 #4 by admin3

weirdbeardmt wrote: I may have resolved this. Hardly satisfactory but it does seem to work. I already have power line plugs in my house, so I put one of those alongside the AP902 and then run it in AP mode instead of Universal Repeater. Same SSID and security as main network, different channel. I seem to now roam between the different networks, and all other network resources (Sonos, Synology) etc. seem to be available.

That suggests there's an issue with passing through certain types of Multicast packets when in Universal Repeater mode, could you contact support to see if they can help to resolve your issue?

Forum Administrator

• weirdbeardmt
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jun 2017 16:23 #5 by weirdbeardmt

admin3 wrote:

weirdbeardmt wrote: I may have resolved this. Hardly satisfactory but it does seem to work. I already have power line plugs in my house, so I put one of those alongside the AP902 and then run it in AP mode instead of Universal Repeater. Same SSID and security as main network, different channel. I seem to now roam between the different networks, and all other network resources (Sonos, Synology) etc. seem to be available.

That suggests there's an issue with passing through certain types of Multicast packets when in Universal Repeater mode, could you contact support to see if they can help to resolve your issue?

I suppose I could ask the question but must admit I've tried to use Draytek support in the past (actually on this very issue) and found it a bit frustrating.

As it happens, the new setup is exactly what I want - I already had a guest network that I thought was isolated from the main LAN... turns out it wasn't. So by running the 902 in AP mode and then using it for guest wifi I can use VLAN tags to isolate it from the main LAN. So in a roundabout sort of way, this is a good thing.

More
08 Jun 2017 17:05 #6 by admin3
If you need a guest SSID in addition to the normal wireless, then I do agree that AP mode over powerline is the better way to do it :)

Forum Administrator