Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

3.6.8.6 Firmware Upgrade causes "Firmware Damage"

• zimbo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jan 2017 17:56 #1 by zimbo
Tried to upgrade my 2850n this afternoon using the web interface and .all file.

Started to progress but then got 'Connection Lost' and after a page refresh I'm still on 3.6.4 but pop-up message now says "Firmware Damage" and that I need to upgrade immediately otherwise the router will die after next reboot.

I have tried repeatedly to do the upgrade again, both with .all and .rst, and also tried to reinstall 3.6.4, again with .all and .rst, but nothing happens now after selecting a file and clicking Upgrade.

So the router is still working but I don't want to try enabling TFTP in case that kills the router (user manual implies turning this on causes a reboot, which would mean the router would die according to the popup message.

Anyone got any ideas what I can do? I've raised a support ticket but that says it might take 48 hours for a response. :o

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• morgad
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jan 2017 21:41 #2 by morgad
No idea, but my 2830 did exactly the same over Xmas.
telnet now also fails, as does ssh

had to buy a 2832 to replace it :(

Dave

More
31 Jan 2017 09:48 #3 by admin3
The router's firmware can be recovered using this procedure: http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-firmwarerecovery

What you've described can occur when updating firmware over the internet or a wireless connection if the transfer is interrupted, it can typically be resolved by not restarting the router and simply re-attempting the firmware upgrade through the web interface until the update succeeds.

I've just tested the 3.6.8.6 firmware from the DrayTek UK downloads page on a Vigor 2850n router and it does work / load correctly.

Forum Administrator

• zimbo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
31 Jan 2017 16:17 #4 by zimbo
@admin3 - thanks, I did actually get a swift reply from Draytek Support along the same lines... however it didn't work.

I tried the TFTP method loads of times but kept getting the "Request time out. Transfer abort!" error. I tried 3.6.8.6 and my previous build 3.6.4, both .rst and .all, but nothing worked.

As I was then truly up the creek without a paddle, with a dead-ish router, I did a hardware factory reset - which lo and behold solved the problem, and got me back to 3.6.4 firmware, I re-loaded my configuration file and it all works again! :D

So I'm (hopefully) back to where I was before attempting Draytek's "Critical Update", which needless to say I won't be trying again...