• spudnet
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
02 Feb 2017 11:28 #1 by spudnet
Vigor 2925 with 300mb Virgin was created by spudnet
Hello all,
I have recently installed a Vigor 2925 into a location with Virgin Media 300mb.
The Wi-Fi built into the VM router is appalling so we went for the Draytek and it is much better.
On the standard modem plugged in via network cable on speed test we will get 300mb + as soon as I connect the 2925 and run the same test via network it will struggle to get 150mb.
I have disabled all the options on the 2925, updated to latest firmware and done the reset firmware file, I am putting the vm modem in modem only mode and with other routers it gets the full speed.
I seem to remember somewhere doing something with QOS so speed test give the full speed, my client is now very frustrated and wants the equipment taken out.
Can anyone help please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sjltech.uk
  • User
  • User
More
04 Feb 2017 01:21 #2 by sjltech.uk
Replied by sjltech.uk on topic Re: Vigor 2925 with 300mb Virgin
Hi there,
I'm running a Virgin Media 200Mb line through their Hitron CGVN4 device in modem mode into a 2925 and getting (pretty much) the full 200Mb (it fluctuates a bit, but generally within 10%) so I'm a bit surprised you are apparently losing so much (eg. HALF !)
Interesting to see that the Draytek 2925 firewall rating is 300Mb/s, you mention QoS - is something being throttled perhaps ?
Might be worth checking Hardware Acceleration and disabling it if it's enabled.
Cheers
Simon

• willko
  • User
  • User
More
05 Feb 2017 20:12 #3 by willko
Replied by willko on topic Re: Vigor 2925 with 300mb Virgin
Hi ,
Don't beat yourself up over this.. It is not a setting issue.
Speaking specifically about the 2860 I can confirm that the current FW release is not capable of speeds above ~160mbts. (so I assume the 2925 is similar)
There is a new beta firmware however that fixes this (allows for ~280 mbts) however I don't know what the release schedule is.

if the issue is critical I'd advise speaking to Draytek support.
Hope this helps.

• sjltech.uk
  • User
  • User
More
16 Feb 2017 01:00 #4 by sjltech.uk
Hi spudnet,
Doing a lot of work with Raspberry Pi devices at the moment, so I've been downloading some reasonably big files (2-8GBish mark)
Speed has been variable, but I've just downloaded a file from WD for their PiDrive foundation image and was pretty impressed with the speed.
It was a 2.13GB zip file (says 1.98GB on the site) and the file downloaded completely in 90 seconds (stopwatched)
Putting the numbers into ITAdminTools throughput calculator web tool gave me throughput of 193.877 Mb/s
My Virgin connection is rated at 200Mb/s, so I have to say that it looks like the 2925 is taking as much as the line can give.
It's a little before 1AM UK time, so probably favourable for me, but then all quoted figures are "ideal conditions" based, but this is a "real world" test rather than a speed test and I'm more than happy with what I've seen - the 2925 has held it's head high on this one.
For what it's worth, this is the setup I am using:
The PC I used is an iMac, Cat6 cabled to a Cisco SG 200-08 switch, Cat6 cabled to a Draytek G1241 switch, Cat6 cabled to a 2925, Cat6 cabled to the Virgin Hitron CGNV4 running in modem mode (and it's supporting a Hurricane Electric 6in4 static IPv6 tunnel)
Cheers
Simon

More
16 Feb 2017 07:16 #5 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor 2925 with 300mb Virgin
The V2860/2925 can do the max quoted speed, but that assumes ideal conditions and multiple sessions. The method of measuring speed you use may also produce different results. Turn off DDoS protection temporarily to see if that helps.

Forum Administrator

• sjltech.uk
  • User
  • User
More
16 Feb 2017 07:20 #6 by sjltech.uk
Ah, forgot to mention that I have ALL the DoS protection turned ON, so I was trying my best to trip the 2925 up :lol: