DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Firmware 3.8.4.3_STD over 3.8.4.3_BT = Massive improvement!

• eveares
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Feb 2017 19:57 #1 by eveares
So when I upgrade the firmware on my Draytek products I usually grab the latest recommended firmware from: https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads

However today I decided to upgraded my Vigor 2860's firmware from the built in firmware download utility rather then manually downloading it from draytek.co.uk.

Now my upload speed on speedtest.net is typically around 5-6 Mbps, although today I noticed my 2860 was only syncing at 4400 Kbps upstream and thus I was barley getting 4 Mbps up on speedtest.net. When I updated my 2860's firmware from the built-in firmware download tool, it gave me the 3.8.4.3_STD firmware.

To my surprise the upstream sync speed is now 12220 Kbps with me getting 11.5 Mbps upload on speedtest.net. :mrgreen: I then apply the recommended 3.8.4.3_BT firmware over the 3.8.4.3_STD firmware to see if there is any any difference and to my horror my upstream sync speed drops to 6789 Kbps! :cry:

I of course went back to the 3.8.4.3_STD firmware where my upstream sync speed then returned to 12220 Kbps. I have also noticed with the 3.8.4.3_STD firmware, that I am no longer having issues with the firewalls data filter where as before anything enabled in the data filter such as a simple filter to block a range of WAN IP's would prevent many websites from working properly or even loading at all.

Anyone who wants to try out the 3.8.4.3_STD firmware can gram it from here: http://www.draytek.com/ftp/Vigor2860/Firmware/v3.8.4.3/Vigor2860_v3.8.4.3-00_en.zip

Of course it's early days with this new firmware and that you try it at your own risk.

Before:

After:

Regards: Elliott.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2017 20:20 #2 by akwe-xavante
Do you have Hardware Acceleration enabled?

• eveares
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Feb 2017 21:28 #3 by eveares
The 3.8.4.3_STD firmware does not have the hardware acceleration option. Whether hardware acceleration was enabled or not in the 3.8.4.3_BT firmware made no difference to the upstream sync speed and thus my upload speed, and also prevented the firewall's data filter from working correctly when hardware acceleration was turned on.

This is what was displayed when hardware acceleration was turned on in the 3.8.4.3_BT firmware:

I have now reverted to the 3.8.4.3_STD firmware where my upstream sync speed is now 12,952 Kbps.

Regards: Elliott.

More
03 Feb 2017 08:23 #4 by akwe-xavante
So with the STD version hardware acceleration is not available as an option so theoretically it is switched off or non existent.

With the BT version it's present and available to be either switched on or off or placed into auto mode. But does it's very existence switched on or off have an effect on the system I wonder.

Many people are having issues with the 3.8.4.3 firmware not specifically speed but getting online at all in some cases, using the BT version disabling hardware acceleration solves the problem.

So me's wondering if it would be better to completely remove hardware acceleration altogether and change my firmware version from the BT version with HW acceleration switched off to the STD version where it's not available at all.

I've just updated from ADSL2+ to Fibre and had many problems on switch over day. I had updated the firmware a couple of weeks ago whilst I was still on an ADSL2+ service but it caused me no problems at the time until I switched to Fibre.

My switch over was yesterday, today I appear to have had another problem mysteriously resolved all on its own. I use Yahoo for mail, for months its been a pain. Composing a new email I'd often have missing letters and words as I typed away.

The ADSL2+ speed was excellent, written a few emails already this morning without any missing letters or words at all and no time lag either.

• psykix
  • User
  • User
More
03 Feb 2017 08:48 #5 by psykix
I'm using 3.8.4.3BT and Hardware acceleration seems to make no difference to the settings.

Whatever I set it to the WAN status remains the same.

I don't think the hardware acceleration setting is actually working.

I set it to disabled, and then checked via telnet using ppa -v and it shows that acceleration is still being applied.

I think it's broken.

Edit : checked again using ppa -v and it shows disabled now.. strange, I'll keep an eye on it!

More
03 Feb 2017 09:06 #6 by akwe-xavante
I have the BT version with HW Acceleration disabled and I get:

HomeRouter> ppa -v
%PPA is disable
%PPA Protocol TCP 0, UDP 0
%PPA two way disable
%PPA time is 1
%PPA range is 0
%PPA LAN entries 0
%PPA WAN entries 0
HomeRouter>
Idle timeout. Bye-Bye

With HW Acceleration enabled I get:

HomeRouter> ppa -v
% PPA mode is Auto
%PPA Protocol TCP 1, UDP 0
%PPA two way disable
%PPA time is 1
%PPA range is 0
%PPA LAN entries 0
%PPA WAN entries 2
HomeRouter>