Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 VLAN's

• bignick8t3
  • Topic Author
More
06 Feb 2017 16:09 #1 by bignick8t3
2860 VLAN's was created by bignick8t3
Hi All,

Please bear with me while I explain what issue I'm seeing and if it is even the 2860 at fault.

I have the 2860 running 3.8.4.3_BT firmware this connects to Sky Fibre with no issues.
I have 2 AP902 running multiple SSID's and this works as required.
With these I'm running an SSID connected to LAN1 a second SSID for my kids to use using LAN2 a third SSID for guest access on LAN3 and finally a fourth SSID using LAN4 which I use to share Chromecast's etc across all LAN's.

So as you might have guessed I'm using VLAN tagging and between the 2860 and the AP902's I have various 1210 series Dlink managed switches to which everything works well.

My issue is when I come to a device that doesn't support VLAN tagging in that the devices cannot see each other, I'll explain more.

I have a Windows 10 PC that I've put into VLAN5 (LAN4) gets an IP address from the LAN4 DHCP and is able to browse the web, ping the gateway and devices within LAN1 as Inter-LAN Routing is enabled.
This same PC cannot ping other devices within the same VLAN nor can anything from LAN1 ping this PC only the VLAN's gateway can be pinged from LAN1.

The 2860 is giving out the addresses okay and the PC within VLAN5 can ping the 2860 but using the "Ping Diagnosis" tool within the 2860 it isn't able to ping the PC within a VLAN.

No matter what VLAN I use the same thing happens so it's either the router, one of my switches or me doing something stupid but this only applies to devices that don't support VLAN tagging so I've untagged the port on the switch so the PC gets the correct LAN.

Cheers,

Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2017 14:16 #2 by eeekie
Replied by eeekie on topic Re: 2860 VLAN's
Is this all using IPv4? I know Sky turned on IPv6 lately?

• bignick8t3
  • Topic Author
More
08 Feb 2017 09:33 #3 by bignick8t3
Replied by bignick8t3 on topic Re: 2860 VLAN's
It's all IPv4 as I don't see the need for IPv6 on the LAN side :D

Cheers

• willko
  • User
  • User
More
08 Feb 2017 12:52 #4 by willko
Replied by willko on topic Re: 2860 VLAN's
Hi, its by design... Win 10 (and recent MS server OS) DO NOT respond to ping out of box..

Here's a link:
http://www.sysprobs.com/enable-ping-reply-and-ftp-traffic-in-windows-10-and-server

Hope that helps!

• bignick8t3
  • Topic Author
More
08 Feb 2017 14:21 #5 by bignick8t3
Replied by bignick8t3 on topic Re: 2860 VLAN's
I should have also said that any device within the same VLAN cannot ping each other so this issue isn't to do with Windows 10.

While testing as a quick and dirty test you can drop the Windows firewall and it'll then respond to a ping.

The other devices I have are Linux based or POE Camera's that cannot be reached, if these are moved to VLAN0 (LAN1) and a new address is obtained for that LAN they can be pinged without issue.

Cheers.