• willcurtis
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Feb 2017 16:13 #1 by willcurtis
VDSL Instability with Syslog enabled was created by willcurtis
Hi Guys,

This will sound a little strange but here goes.

I use a great deal of the features on my Draytek 2860LN, I have a 6to4 gateway, SSLVPN, IP routed subnets, USB Thermometer, 4G failover, SNMP etc and as I install a lot of draytek products as part of my job I spend time playing with the features and looking at ways to use the features available. recently I was trying to get some useful information from our monitoring platform and needed to use Syslog for some of it (temperature specifically).

After enabling Syslog and pointing it at our monitoring platform I noticed that my FTTC was reauthing every 20-30 seconds, I rebooted to make sure it didn't just need a resync and it cleared for about 30 minutes when the drops started again. I backtracked all the changes I made that day (which was only to enable Syslog) and the drops stopped. Im not a believer in coincidences so over the last few days I have been reenabling and disabling syslog to see if I can replicate the drops and every time Syslog is enabled the drops start again. Weird?

I'm using an Draytek 2860LN on Firmware 3.8.4.3_BT (the latest) and I am running FTTC natively on the device (no modem) ISP is Timico (not that has a bearing on this) 4G is currently in failover mode but disabled.

I am starting to wonder that with Syslog enabled and all the other features that the CPU/Memory isn't standing up to the demand. but without Syslog and no SNMP access while the devices is flapping there are no useful metrics to show this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• willcurtis
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Feb 2017 09:35 #2 by willcurtis
Replied by willcurtis on topic UPDATE: VDSL Instability with Syslog enabled
Just a quick update, 18 hours in with Syslog disabled and it is still stable, turned it on and we are back to intermittent connectivity. I am starting to believe this is memory issue because with Syslog disabled and no active users behind it the memory usage is at 80%

More
08 Feb 2017 14:47 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: VDSL Instability with Syslog enabled
Is it rebooting or just the DSL restarting? Is the syslog going to a USB key or to a daemon/server ?

Forum Administrator

• willcurtis
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Feb 2017 14:52 #4 by willcurtis
Replied by willcurtis on topic Re: VDSL Instability with Syslog enabled
It is just the DSL reauthing every few seconds, the syslog is going to an external server specified by hostname

Thanks for the reply :)

• willcurtis
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Feb 2017 15:03 #5 by willcurtis
Replied by willcurtis on topic Re: VDSL Instability with Syslog enabled
Systeminfo output from the router below, is there a way to show what individual services are using what memory? 80% in use seems to be high for idling..

Router Model: Vigor2860Ln Version: 3.8.4.3_BT English
Profile version: 3.0.0 Status: 1 (0xa290d464)
Router IP: x.x.x.x Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Firmware Build Date/Time: Jan 17 2017 19:54:29
Router Name: xxxxxxxxx
Revision: 61999 V3843_2860
Current VDSL2 Firmware Version: 05-07-06-0D-01-07
ADSL Firmware Version: 05-07-02-08-00-01 Annex A
VDSL2 Firmware Version: 05-07-06-0D-01-07

============== CPU usage ===============
CPU speed : 600 MHz
CPU1 speed: 600 MHz
DDR speed : 300 MHz
CPU usage : 6 %
========= Linear Memory usage ============
Dynamic memory usage : 68 % (55670K/82158K)
Free memory : 25463K(26074816 bytes)
DSP occupied memory : 1024K(1048576 bytes)
Total memory usage : 80 % (104584K/130048K)
Idle task idle time : 0 sec

More
08 Feb 2017 18:09 #6 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: VDSL Instability with Syslog enabled
No, I don't think you can break the 80% down. See if sending syslog to USB memory has the same effect... might give the engineers more clues but I think you'd have to ask them on this if you're sure nothing else is changing.

Forum Administrator