DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Load-Balancing and Double NAT?

More
25 Feb 2017 18:03 #7 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Load-Balancing and Double NAT?
Instead of running an extra cable why not use a separate Powerline network to connect WAN2 to the 130? Means buying two adapters and I believe the PL bandwidth is shared between multiple networks but that shouldn't be a problem?

Alternatively I'm guessing there is probably a clever way to do it with VLANs and the 130 default gateway address of 192.168.2.1 but I'm not clever enough to get my head round it :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
26 Feb 2017 10:03 #8 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Load-Balancing and Double NAT?
A dedicated bit of network cable between your 130 and router would be best. However if you can't do that you should be able to share multiple networks over the powerline equipment.

option 1.
Two sets of homeplug "IDs" - call one "WAN130" (to link the 130 and the router) and the other "LAN" (router LAN port to other LAN devices in the house) and that should keep the traffic distinct and prevent DHCP issues

option 2.
You would need to disable an DHCP stuff on the 130 and router for the WAN connections otherwise any other home device might end up connecting to the wrong network (ie. the WAN link between the 130 and router rather than your LAN). Not sure if this would work though

• gswhite_uk
  • Topic Author
More
27 Feb 2017 22:46 #9 by gswhite_uk
Replied by gswhite_uk on topic Re: Load-Balancing and Double NAT?

mbames wrote: A dedicated bit of network cable between your 130 and router would be best. However if you can't do that you should be able to share multiple networks over the powerline equipment.

option 1.
Two sets of homeplug "IDs" - call one "WAN130" (to link the 130 and the router) and the other "LAN" (router LAN port to other LAN devices in the house) and that should keep the traffic distinct and prevent DHCP issues

option 2.
You would need to disable an DHCP stuff on the 130 and router for the WAN connections otherwise any other home device might end up connecting to the wrong network (ie. the WAN link between the 130 and router rather than your LAN). Not sure if this would work though

Thanks for your reply. Dedicated cabling would be my first choice, but the distance is to far and will not be convenient.

Have tried the homeplug solution for WAN2 and it appears to work well. I am getting good speeds and it appears to be working so far.

I wish I could say the same for the router, which I may return if Draytek cannot fix the constant line instabilities, and router resets, which is annoying and something I have never experienced on other draytek units in the past and on other routers.

It simply does not work on BT VDSL very well at all. Very disappointing for a £250 router.

thanks again for your help and advice.