Vigor2960 fault - all status LEDs on, NICs flashing

• tobes
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Mar 2017 19:44 #1 by tobes
Hi,

Wonder if anyone can advise as I can find any info to help me on this one....

Had a power failure this morning, then noticed later that the Vigor2960 has not started back up and I have no connections to anything from it.

All 9 status LEDs are permanently on and any NICs with a network cable plugged in constantly flash both LEDs on and off. Powering off, even cable out and leaving for a while does not help - the status LEDs are always permanently on from power up and the most I get is all the NIC LEDs flashing a couple of times before they all go off (or flashing permanenlty if a cable is plugged in).

Can't seem to factory reset, as never get to a flashing ACT LED status. Tried the factory reset immediately after power on and the left LED flash around for a bit with eventually the right most 3 LEDS all on, the left 6 LEDS all off.

No idea what this combination of LEDs means.

Do I have a bricked router here, or is there a way of recovering it?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• e.ringrose
  • User
  • User
More
31 Mar 2017 22:54 #2 by e.ringrose
Quite possibly bricked.

However try doing a TFTP firmware recovery, the instructions are here somewhere.

Otherwise Draytek support or supplier (if still in warranty).

• e.ringrose
  • User
  • User
More
31 Mar 2017 23:01 #3 by e.ringrose
Ah found it.

http://www.draytek.com/?a=resource/update&action=post/update&id=1852

• tobes
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Apr 2017 11:22 #4 by tobes
Thank you very much for the replies.

Since my original post it did start to work again; after quite a long time left it booted back up fine as if nothing was wrong! That was until we had another power cut! (My UPS had died - I now have a new UPS as we have quite a few power blips!)

Again it failed to come back online, however it didn't do what I describe above! Instead just the ACT light would flash - which I believe should mean it's operating normally, but it's most definitely not! There is no way of communicating with it at all and no other lights come up as they would if it was working (to indicate WAN etc). Not even the factory reset works.

So I tried the TFTP firmware recovery, thanks for the link.

Following the instructions to put the router into TFTP mode resulted in the 3 left lights flashing - but not all together as they should! Instead the left top two flash alternatively with the bottom left! After about 30 seconds they stop and all 3 right most lights come on and stay on!

The TFTP firmware utility never finds the router, though pinging it does get a response for the 30 seconds before the right most LEDs come on.

Is there any documentation to explain the what the flashing lights mean other than the normal?

I think I'm resigning myself to the likelihood that it is bricked :-( It's too old for warranty now so I'll guess I'll have to get another - I'm making do with an old Vigor 2920vn for now, which is a bit slow on throughput and lacks some of the features.