Vigor 2860n - firmware upgrade and config

• amstel
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Mar 2017 19:53 #1 by amstel
Hi,

I have Vigor 2860n ZEN ADSL2+ with Firmware Version 3.7.4 with lots of VPN settings.
I would like to upgrade to 3.8.4.4.

Configuration settings in 3.8.4.4BT firmware are not backwards compatible with 3.7.8.3. It is
not possible to downgrade from 3.8.x to 3.7.8.3 and retain settings. To downgrade, use the
.rst file to clear settings.

Will the config from the firmware 3.7.4 be preserved in 3.8.4.4 ?

I have digged up the forum and it seems if I use .all file I do not loose any settings?
Can anyone confirm, please ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2017 23:14 #2 by jedi98
You do not loose your settings when you upgrade using .all firmware files, however....

• Back up the settings first anyway, and name the file so you know when & what version it was

• Beware of new features getting turned on by default. In particular check that the hardware acceleration is turned OFF after upgrade because that can cause all kinds of havoc.

• I once had extra DHCP config turn itself on under DMZ LAN (which I don't use).

• Then when you are happy, back it up again under the new firmware, again pick the filename well.

• amstel
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Mar 2017 10:14 #3 by amstel
Thank you jedi98 but the clarification.
You are faster than DrayTek support :)

• mike.smith
  • User
  • User
More
24 Mar 2017 20:45 #4 by mike.smith
Replied by mike.smith on topic Re: Vigor 2860n - firmware upgrade and config
That's how it works in theory but not in practice all the time, you may get lucky, you may not. Sometimes you can upgrade with a .all file and it's all stable, other times you will begin to see random problems. My last set of random problems were based around the time and date becoming corrupted which stopped a whole heap of other things working, which incidentally was blooming difficult to track down.
I would say it's always prudent to write down your configuration and to upgrade with a .rst on the odd occasion, then manually update your settings, then save them off again.
Sorry it's a bored but if you rely on it then it's better to be safe than sorry.