DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Moving from a BT HomeHub 6 to DrayTek Vigor 2860ac

More
09 Apr 2017 07:51 #1 by gsb1
Hi all,

I've not been a Vigor user since my old 2600. I then reverted to using BT Homehubs. I presently use a BT HomeHub 6 (the smarthub). The HomeHub 6 I am content with, but I really need VPN functionality, so I am considering the move to the DrayTek Vigor 2860ac.

The core reason to move to the DrayTek Vigor 2860ac is to gain a VPN server/endpoint for my home network, primarily to properly secure my IP cameras (avoid port forwarding) which I plan to access remotely via VPN from an Android v7 phone.

My main reason for posting is to see if there is any experience from people that have made the same transition. In particular I would like to avoid introducing any negatives for aspects I take for granted with the HomeHub 6 - for instance BT Infinity connection speed and wifi performance etc. Can anyone comment on how these areas compare?

Comments on the suitability of the DrayTek Vigor 2860ac for VPN connectivity from an Android v7 phone also welcomed (although I know there is a separate section for VPN threads).

thanks in advance
Graham

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2017 17:31 #2 by jedi98
I can comment on some parts of this. I have 2860n so, same routing core as ac version. BT Infinity speed should at least equal any BT home hub, I get a full 76Mbps up / 20 down.

I have VPN from android 4.4 working fine using L2TP, so android 7 SHOULD be ok. I also have 2 permanent ipsec vpns to other 2860 routers and they are rock solid. I use vpn from my android phone and that works well for access to internals. Also works from ipad, and most other devices.

WiFi is a tricky subject. I always use a separate access point because the position is never right and WiFi REALLY does not like me!

More
11 Apr 2017 09:12 #3 by gsb1
Thanks for the reply. Anyone else got feedback?

More
11 Apr 2017 15:28 #4 by gsb1
I've placed an order, so fingers crossed.

A shame I need to wait until the device arrives to register it before I can access any of the KB articles, I would like to have done some reading in advance.

jedi98 wrote: I can comment on some parts of this. I have 2860n so, same routing core as ac version. BT Infinity speed should at least equal any BT home hub, I get a full 76Mbps up / 20 down.

I have VPN from android 4.4 working fine using L2TP, so android 7 SHOULD be ok. I also have 2 permanent ipsec vpns to other 2860 routers and they are rock solid. I use vpn from my android phone and that works well for access to internals. Also works from ipad, and most other devices.

WiFi is a tricky subject. I always use a separate access point because the position is never right and WiFi REALLY does not like me!

What VPN do you use on your Android, L2TP/IPSEC or SSL via the app? Do you use a mOTP and if so what app did you choose for that please?

More
17 Apr 2017 09:42 #5 by gsb1
Having made the transition and now able to answers so of my own questions, I thought I would update this thread.

The VDSL2 (BT Infinity) synced at the same speed as before (45 up, 8.5 down), so all good there. Wifi signal is not as good as the HH6, but not by too drastic a margin. It's not causing me any issue at present and if it does I can fix that via a powerline AP, or utilise one of my spare homehubs as an AP.

VPN also working fine from Android (either via the Smart VPN app SSL connection or native Android using L2TP/IPSEC), so objective achieved.

A few other tips:

Initial config could take a few router reboots, so start with the router not connected to the phone line to avoid unnecessary line drops. Download the latest firmware in advance.

1. Register your router so you can access the KB articles.
2. Update the firmware.
3. Configure the router for BT Infinity
First this:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/vigor-2860-vdsl-setup
Then enable IPV6 (now rolled out for BT Infinity and likely what your homehub was using). The first part of this guide duplicates what is already done above:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-ipv6-ppp?
4. Enable/disable VPN protocols enabled to your preference under VPN and Remote Access > Remote Access Control (not particularly critical as they require config to do anything, but if you do want to disable any requires another reboot)
5. If like me you have any statically assign addressed devices on your network, you might want to readdress the router to match your HomeHub to avoid having to readdress clients (minimum change default gateway config). Entirely optional and only relevant if you use static IP. If you need to do this see the config under LAN > General Setup > LAN1 Details Page. When you make the reboot after this change, turn off your homehub!
6. Now connect to your phone line and sync VDSL2
7. Your wifi config probably next priority, any DDNS you need, followed by everything else to your preference!

More
01 May 2017 14:53 #6 by giacecco
@GSB1 how did you manage to get L2TP/IPSec to work? I've been trying for months without success. Please check http://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21482&p=88776#wrap , perhaps you'll manage to give me some advice. Thanks.