• rjtt64
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Apr 2017 12:08 #1 by rjtt64
SysLog datestamp 2860ac was created by rjtt64
Hi

Ive just started using a 2860ac and whilst the system date time is right and configured to get from an internet time server the datetime on syslog is showing as 2000-01-01 00:00:09

Cant see how to set it

Any ideas..

TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2017 16:22 #2 by fryr
Replied by fryr on topic Re: SysLog datestamp 2860ac
I saw this on my 2860vac. I had configured NTP but the default is to update every 30 minutes. So it was taking 30 minutes after a reboot before the time was show correctly. I have now changed it to update every 30 seconds to limit the window - it is also better for my mOTP token code for VPN access to have the router at the correct time, means I don't have to wait 30 minutes before VPN works.

Why it doesn't sync the time anyway after a reboot I don't know - sounds like a bugette / feature request.

• rjtt64
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Apr 2017 20:38 #3 by rjtt64
Replied by rjtt64 on topic Re: SysLog datestamp 2860ac

fryr wrote: I saw this on my 2860vac. I had configured NTP but the default is to update every 30 minutes. So it was taking 30 minutes after a reboot before the time was show correctly. I have now changed it to update every 30 seconds to limit the window - it is also better for my mOTP token code for VPN access to have the router at the correct time, means I don't have to wait 30 minutes before VPN works.

Why it doesn't sync the time anyway after a reboot I don't know - sounds like a bugette / feature request.

..Many thanks for your workaround for this bug seems like a great router after 30 mins!!....

• sjltech.uk
  • User
  • User
More
15 Apr 2017 19:38 #4 by sjltech.uk
Replied by sjltech.uk on topic Re: SysLog datestamp 2860ac
Seen similar problems to this with various Drayteks I've owned/still own over the years.
Although this won't help you with the underlying problem on the Draytek, if you are syslogging to a remote device (I use a couple of Raspberry Pi devices) you can alter the syslog message's timestamp to the time the message was RECEIVED by the syslog server, rather than the time the message contains (from the device)
Below is what I use in my /etc/rsyslog.conf file (note I'm also using 'fromhost-ip' as I have multiple devices logging to the same syslog server

Code:
# network catch all for black-box $template LogLoc,"/mnt/usb1/%fromhost-ip%.log" $template myFormat,"%fromhost-ip% %timegenerated% %syslogtag%%msg%\n"

Cheers
Simon

• rjtt64
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Apr 2017 20:54 #5 by rjtt64
Replied by rjtt64 on topic Re: SysLog datestamp 2860ac

sjltech.uk wrote: Seen similar problems to this with various Drayteks I've owned/still own over the years.
Although this won't help you with the underlying problem on the Draytek, if you are syslogging to a remote device (I use a couple of Raspberry Pi devices) you can alter the syslog message's timestamp to the time the message was RECEIVED by the syslog server, rather than the time the message contains (from the device)
Below is what I use in my /etc/rsyslog.conf file (note I'm also using 'fromhost-ip' as I have multiple devices logging to the same syslog server

Code:
# network catch all for black-box $template LogLoc,"/mnt/usb1/%fromhost-ip%.log" $template myFormat,"%fromhost-ip% %timegenerated% %syslogtag%%msg%\n"

Cheers
Simon

Thanks for your thoughts Simon..

More
18 Apr 2017 17:46 #6 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: SysLog datestamp 2860ac
Syslog will use the router's system time and if an NTP server is set, syslog will be correct as soon as that is set after a reboot - it shouldn't take 30 minutes and once set, it maintains the time indefinitely, updating/correcting every 30 mins.

Forum Administrator