2860ac DNS Issues

• psybernoid
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Apr 2017 18:08 #1 by psybernoid
2860ac DNS Issues was created by psybernoid
Hi all. Installed my 2860ac this morning on my home network. Fresh out of the box, and updated to latest firmware (3.8.4.4_BT) before I set anything else up.
Having a couple of funnies with DNS.

1 - I cannot seem to be able to resolve any local hostnames on my network (non-domain) I've had a poke around, and done much searching - doesn't seem possible to do it via LANDNS resolution. Is there any other way ? In my searching I found the ip lanDNS terminal command, but the syntax is a little vague.

2 - Using LAN DNS Resolution, I fully expected to be able to resolve my self-hosted domain internally, instead of going out to come back in. So I set it up, to point to the servers internal IP. It worked once, and now it just wants to resolve to the external IP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sjltech.uk
  • User
  • User
More
15 Apr 2017 20:26 #2 by sjltech.uk
Replied by sjltech.uk on topic Re: 2860ac DNS Issues
Hi there,
with regard to your points:
1 - where are you trying to resolve FROM (2860 or PC/other device ?)
The 2860 (unless anyone can correct me on this ?) will only cache DNS records, it doesn't resolve them, so your devices need to point to somewhere that knows the answer, unless you're using Avahi/mDNS (eg. .local) which is what I would use for resolving "local hostnames" to IP addresses.
I'm assuming you don't want to maintain a hosts file for this, so instead of "ping mydevice" using "ping mydevice.local" should work (Linux/Mac environment, not sure about Windows), but then, your next point suggests you already have a name server set-up locally ?

2 - if you have a self-hosted domain, presumably you have your own DNS server that's SOA for the domain ?
It sounds like that's what you have ("point to the server's internal IP"), so that is given out to devices as part of DHCP/static IP setup ?
Without wanting to pry too far into your set-up, have you tried to find out what the internet thinks are the NS records for the domain you're using ?
It's perfectly possible that the domain name you're using internally has NS records for name servers somewhere else.
For instance, I have a few domain names registered, and use AAAA records to point to devices I have "locally", but the name servers are hosted elsewhere.
I tried, unsuccessfully in the end, to set-up a split horizon DNS so I could do local resolution locally, but it caused me a lot of trouble and was unreliable, so now I use a centrally maintained hosts file for key servers (static IPs) and use Avahi/mDNS for DHCP devices.

A few more details would be useful, obviously without "sensitive" details :wink:
Cheers
Simon

• psybernoid
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Apr 2017 01:50 #3 by psybernoid
Replied by psybernoid on topic Re: 2860ac DNS Issues
Thanks for the reply.

The self-hosted domain is nothing fancy. It's basically a small project to work on in my spare time. The MX records are directed to google and the root DNS is directed to a dynamic DNS service.
I do have dnsmasq running on a Raspberry Pi, which I maintain a static host list. For example file server would be 192.168.0.200 and the web server would be 192.168.0.250.

I've tried 2 approaches to get this to work internally:

1: Using Applications>LAN DNS to have file.local to resolve to x.x.x.200
2: Using Applications>DNS Forwarding to have *.local forward to the Raspberry Pi dnsmasq serivce

The hope was I could dispense with the Raspberry Pi and just maintain a static list of LAN DNS records directly on the 2860.

Neither of these seem to work. Even setting the DHCP server on the 2860 to have the Raspberry Pi as the primary DNS service doesn't seem to work. The really strange thing, is when an endpoint is using the Raspberry Pi as the DNS server, a ping will not resolve, but an nslookup does. Seems that the 2860's transparent DNS proxy is intercepting the requests.

As for the 2nd issue.
I wanted internal endpoints to resolve www.mydomain.com to the local web server, instead of the external IP. Setting up Applications>LAN DNS did do this, but only briefly.
Another example is, I set *.yahoo.com to blackhole to 127.0.01. Which also worked for a short spell, but now it's resolving to the correct IP.