Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2.4GHz not talking to 5GHz on same VLAN

• rustleg
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Apr 2017 19:48 #1 by rustleg
I have 2 Virgin Tivo boxes (latest model V6) which can talk to each other over the LAN if they use the same wifi speed, e.g. 2.4GHz but if I try to use one on 2.4GHz and the other on 5GHz they can't communicate.

The way I set it up is as follows: I set up VLAN3 just for these 2 boxes using SSID2 for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. In the LAN configuration panel I have the VLAN3 line with ticks in just the 2.4GHz SSID2 and 5GHz SSID2. In each Wireless LAN General Setup I have *not* ticked Isolate Member for SSID2. So I expected each box to talk to the other one even if one is on 2.4GHz SSID2 and the other on 5GHz SSID2, but it doesn't work. If I connect both boxes using 2.4GHz they do talk to each other.

It's not a deal breaker but one box is very near the router and connects to the internet ok on the 5GHz band without any problems. Maybe using 5GHz won't be any advantage but it does indicate some issue with my router setup and I'd like to know what I did wrong.

Using Vigor 2860ac

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gilbad
  • User
  • User
More
26 Apr 2017 19:12 #2 by gilbad
Replied by gilbad on topic Re: 2.4GHz not talking to 5GHz on same VLAN
Hi Rustleg,

I don't have virgin tivo - but thinking aloud...

Is DHCP setup on the new VLAN (assuming it is although some kind of autoconfig could be at play if not).

What are you IGMP proxy / snooping settings on the draytek?

Cheers
Adam

• rustleg
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Apr 2017 22:39 #3 by rustleg
Replied by rustleg on topic Re: 2.4GHz not talking to 5GHz on same VLAN
Thanks for the reply Adam.

DHCP is set up in the VLAN and each box has no trouble connecting, getting an IP and accessing the internet. But in the scenario described they can't find the other device on the same subnet.

I know nothing about IGMP and had to look it up in the manual. I presume the settings are default. In the Applications > IGMP page the IGMP Proxy and IGMP snooping boxes are ticked. I tried to look up multicast on the web and it doesn't sound like something I would be doing but I don't really know. Perhaps I should try unticking these boxes and seeing if there are any consequences?

• gilbad
  • User
  • User
More
27 Apr 2017 02:33 #4 by gilbad
Replied by gilbad on topic Re: 2.4GHz not talking to 5GHz on same VLAN
Hi rustleg,

This really is a stab in the dark with tivo as I'm afraid I know very little about whats under the bonnet.

As an experiment, I'd try disabling igmp snooping; however as this is a global setting (not vlan specific), I wouldn't consider it a permanent fix... thats if it does make a difference.

Is there much shown in working multicast groups when you click refresh?

Thanks
Adam

• rustleg
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Apr 2017 11:31 #5 by rustleg
Hi Adam

I've bought a long cable now and have connected the nearest box which I would have used with 5GHz wi-fi. This works ok and does talk to the other box in another room which uses 2.4GHz wi-fi. So I'm giving up worrying about it. But thanks for trying.

NO SEE NEXT POST

• rustleg
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Apr 2017 19:05 #6 by rustleg
Adam you're a star!

After I decided to give up because I had changed one box to a wired connection I found that although the wired box could see the wi-fi box, the wi-fi box couldn't see the wired box. So I switched IGMP Snooping off after your suggestion and both boxes can now communicate with each other.

So thanks very much, greatly appreciated.