Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

New user, confused by GUI and LAN host / DNS set-up

• peter galbavy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 May 2017 09:09 #1 by peter galbavy
I've come to the Draytek world via an AVM 7390 which needed updating to newer VDSL support.

While I had plenty of minor issues with the AVM I did appreciate their user interface and I am wondering if I am simply applying the wrong approach.

I have a bunch of in-house server blobs, typically RPis or Windows boxes. On the AVM any new DHCP node has it's hostname inserted direct into a local DNS when the lease is added and the UI allows me to simply tick a box to say "make this lease static" as well as define any port mappings on the WAN.

My initial impressions on the Draytek were that this process is way more complicated and perhaps I should be using a cli instead of the web interface? First, there is no mapping for local DNS to DHCP hostnames, so I have to go do that, then go and find the DHCP lease in the bind-to-mac page and click through that, adding a comment to tell me the name (once I find the MAC in a printout I luckily made), then I spotted the DHCP domainname command, which helped by I still had to faff setting up what were simple hostname lookups to FQDNs on some devices.

I guess I am hoping someone tells me I am doing this all wrong and there is actually an easier, simple, maintainable way...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.