• kens
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 May 2017 20:56 #1 by kens
VDSL Failover to USB 3G 2860 was created by kens
Hi All,

I'm sure that is a common scenario and perhaps someone can point me to a guide that is definitive for the 2860

I have VDSL on WAN1 working fine and a USB 3G Dongle on WAN3. It works too.

I'd like the router to fail over to the 3G connection only if the VDSL is down. I don't want any traffic on WAN3 using my PAYG service while WAN1 is active.

WAN1 is set Active Mode as Always On, Load Balance ticked

WAN3 ia set the Active Mode as Failover, Load Balance ticked. When I select Active Mode as "Any of the selected WAN disconnect" as WAN1 I get a pop up error "wan1 is already for backup!"

I don't understand. Where have I set WAN1 as Backup?

I've tried unticking the Load Balance settings.

Could someone who has a bit more of a clue suggest a setting I have got wrong somewhere.

Thanks

Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
16 May 2017 23:13 #2 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: VDSL Failover to USB 3G 2860
I would have thought you would just turn off load balanced. My understanding is that the basis configuration is preference to the VDSL circuit (WAN1) and to only use the 3d device (WAN3) as a backup.

I have a 2925 and I sometimes pop my USB 3g modem into it, but that is only if I have an issue with my vdsl connectivity.

This article suggests that might be the case too - scroll down for the 2910 example
https://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb_vigor_3g.html

"In this example, we were using the Vigor2910 on 3G only - there was no primary or other Internet access method, but if there was, the primary interface can be load balanced or the 3G modem used for backup only (in case of primary interface failure)."

More
17 May 2017 09:27 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: VDSL Failover to USB 3G 2860
I have a 2860 with vdsl on WAN 1 and wifi router on WAN 2, which is only used for failover.

Most reliable way I've got it to work is to set both as "always on" in WAN general setup, load balance boxes not ticked.

Then use the "Load Balance/Route Policy" settings to set the failover and failback options.

• kens
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 May 2017 09:38 #4 by kens
Replied by kens on topic Re: VDSL Failover to USB 3G 2860
Hi

I'd been looking at that option. I'll try it out

Thanks

Ken