Draytek Vigor AP-902 & Vigor 2860

• dtbk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 May 2017 15:35 #1 by dtbk
Draytek Vigor AP-902 & Vigor 2860 was created by dtbk
Alright people... I've got to the point that I'm considering throwing the AP-902 out of the window... I need some help.

We have a Vigor 2860 router downstairs but the building is such that the wifi signal is not strong enough upstairs. Today we've kitted out an office upstairs and all wired internet connections still go through the Vigor 2860 downstairs and they all work fine. I bought the AP-902 in order to get a Wifi Access point upstairs.

Following the user guide instructions I've plugged in the Ap-902 to a wall point (which goes through a switch, which in turn is connected to the 2860 downstairs) and the LAN A4 or LAN B lights (e.g. I've tried each) light up solid suggesting it's connected however... I can't find the AP-902 anywhere on the network. I understand it's supposed to acquire an IP address via DHCP but it appears it isn't. I've checked the ARP Cache Table and DHCP table on the 2860 control panel trying to find the MAC address of the AP-902 and it just doesn't appear.

I wondered if the conflict could be that the default settings of the AP-902 are that it will use IP 192.168.1.2 but, the IP range being used on the network via the 2860 starts with 10.0.0.100 - however if that is the problem, I don't know what the answer is.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2017 08:57 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Draytek Vigor AP-902 & Vigor 2860
If DHCP is available, the AP won't use its default 192.168.1.2 address.

Maybe take it off the network and wire it directly to a PC (and reboot it) and go into its wen interface to check all looks fine... Perhaps hard set a LAN IP address in your 10.x.x.x network so it'll be easier to find when you put it back on.

Forum Administrator

• weirdbeardmt
  • User
  • User
More
30 May 2017 11:03 #3 by weirdbeardmt
Replied by weirdbeardmt on topic Re: Draytek Vigor AP-902 & Vigor 2860
FWIW, I've got a 902 also to go with a 2860LN and I've never been able to get it working reliably. It's supposed to be in extender mode (i.e. just extend the existing wifi network) and after attaching it to the router, configuring it etc. then putting it in the final place, I either get IP conflicts (even though DHCP on the 902 is off) or else it just does weird things (like doesn't extend, or it won't traverse the network.) Also the central AP management is bizarre... only works if it's connected directly by cable (which pretty much defeats the point of a wifi extender...!)

Anyway, in terms of your issue, probably worth doing a hard reset, then plugging it directly in to the 2860, using the AP management to configure it... i.e. verify your wall point is doing what it should. You should be able to see it in the DHCP table...?

• dtbk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Jun 2017 12:40 #4 by dtbk
Replied by dtbk on topic Re: Draytek Vigor AP-902 & Vigor 2860
Sorry people I forgot to select to be notified of replies to this post :oops:

It turned out that the network point on the wall was faulty :evil: ... I've now got this working just fine. Now turning to my head to trying to configure guest internet access with no LAN access etc using VLAN ID's...

I've been following the instructions here: http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-wireless-guestnetwork-ap but I'm clearly missing something as I can't get it to work. I'm gonna try again when I have a little more time - I may well be back for more assistance :?

• weirdbeardmt
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jun 2017 16:16 #5 by weirdbeardmt
Hmm, I've followed it and it's working fine for me.

What exactly isn't working? When you connect to your guest network do you get an IP address in the secondary range/subnet?

For ages I was joining the guest network then using the existence of the main 2860 homepage as proof if it was working or not... and since that would load, I assumed it wasn't working. But I think the router must do some additional routing, because if I join the guest network and then try to hit other network resources then they're not available.

The other thing may be that whatever home plugs you're using are scrubbing the vlan tags from the traffic... and if they go through as 0 then it will mean ignore it. SO i suppose one thing you could try would be putting tags of 10 on your primary and 20 on your secondary. That way if your plugs are stripping the tags you should know that's the cause (since in this case you shouldn't be able to access anything at all whilst on the guest network.) In which case it may be that you need three VLANs and you put all your local network stuff on VLAN2 etc. Not really sure tbh, just thinking out loud.

For a while I questioned if this would work at all, since the traffic from the AP is actually going through a different switch which may dump it back on the first vlan, hence all access to everything. But for me with 2860 + 902 + Devolo plugs... it seems to work.

• weirdbeardmt
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jun 2017 16:18 #6 by weirdbeardmt
Hmm, have just reread your initial post, and notice that maybe you're not using home plugs and I'm getting confused with a different thread. But you could assume to replace 'home plug' with 'switch' from my post and apply same logic.