Wrong DNS reported by Vigor 2860ac

• rustleg
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Jun 2017 22:15 #1 by rustleg
Wrong DNS reported by Vigor 2860ac was created by rustleg
(I submitted a post yesterday about DNS and it seems to have disappeared! Have you reinstated a backup?)

My post was concerning DNS reported in Dashboard > Quick Access > System Status. It reports the wrong IP for DNS.

On my system it reports 194.168.4.100 which is the default Virgin (UK) DNS but the settings in WAN > Internet Access > WAN2 > Details page are for Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 (and 8.8.4.4 secondary). I have also set up 8.8.8.8 in the LAN1 details page.

In order to find which is the actual DNS in use I ran the Linux command tcpdump which reported many occurrences of "google-public-dns-b.google.com.domain" when I visted random websites. There was no attempt to contact 194.168.4.100.

The router is connected to the Virgin modem so perhaps it obtained the Virgin DNS by submitting some query to the modem (which can act as a router when not in modem mode).

Bug or problem with my setup?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2017 11:46 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Wrong DNS reported by Vigor 2860ac
What happens if you tick "Force router to use DNS Server IP address" in say LAN 1 on the LAN general setup page (with Google DNS set in LAN1 obviously) ?

• rustleg
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jun 2017 15:13 #3 by rustleg
Replied by rustleg on topic Re: Wrong DNS reported by Vigor 2860ac
Yes that changes the address shown in System Status to the Google address. It does seem wrong that the System Status doesn't recognise the actual DNS address being used without that force option ticked.