• mark_s
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jun 2017 21:37 #1 by mark_s
Vigor 2830n lab set up was created by mark_s
Hi,
Appreciate any guidance with my request.
I have a 2830 that I want to utilise and I was thinking is it possible to configure this in such away I can become the ISP (outside world) and then test firewalls and Port forwarding etc (inside world).

I have been playing around for a bit without success, as i'm not sure which is the best way to achieve this goal or if it's even possible.

So I have been using the WAN2 port ethernet and configuring a static IP.
For testing i attached a cisco router and was able to ping across that connection, but router to router was not my goal.

In laymans terms I was thinking it could be done like this....

My windows laptop (Acting as a the ISP) --- >> Connected to the Wan Port on the router and then ---- >> From Lan Port 1 -->> To a Device with a IP and web interface, (IP Camera), for which i could test port forwarding and firewall rules.

If that example above is not going to work / or its not possible then that's still good to know.

Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jun 2017 16:01 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2830n lab set up
Sounds OK to me (FWIW) :D

It's more or less what I did here: https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21631

Rather than using a fixed IP address on the 2830n WAN port, I installed Open DHCP Server on the laptop, and configured the 2830n to use DHCP. Since Open DHCP Server has a built-in Web Server, that came in handy for my particular tests.

I gave the laptop's Ethernet adaptor two fixed IP addresses - one was a pseudo real-world address (1.2.3.4) and the other, that of a typical Cable-modem management interface (192.168.100.1). Open DHCP server was configured to issue DHCP leases for the 1.0.0.0 range and present its GUI on 192.168.100.1.

(Remember to switch off the laptop's firewall - and don't connect it to the internet through its Wifi, or you'll really confuse yourself :? ).

• mark_s
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jun 2017 19:25 #3 by mark_s
Replied by mark_s on topic Re: Vigor 2830n lab set up
Thank you for the advice and links.
I never thought of it as 'Accessing the management portal'

This i will experiment with at the weekend.

Thanks again for the pointers.

Mark