Blocking persistent offenders

• bisonframes
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jul 2017 09:24 #1 by bisonframes
Blocking persistent offenders was created by bisonframes
In the past there was a port forward set up for RDP on my router. A hole that is now plugged with firewall rules and targeted IPs until I get budget for a VPN.
No lectures please - Believe me I know!!
Unfortunately the scum saw it and I have thousands of instances of brute force hacks hitting the firewall every day.

Can I enhance the block filters now with a rule that will collect and block IPs entirely after so many attempts on a port?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2017 12:17 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Blocking persistent offenders
It's not possible to do this currently - you would need to do this on the server itself. The reason being; how would the router know whether a session is successful or unsuccessful? It would need to be aware of the protocol and it's possible that the success/failure messages are encrypted.

Try using Port Redirection to open RDP on another external, randomly numbered port rather than 3389, I've found that typically stops automated access attempts, though it isn't actually more secure.
It's more secure to use the router's VPN server to make a secure tunnel, where possible, then connect RDP through that.

Forum Administrator

• bisonframes
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jul 2017 14:23 #3 by bisonframes
Replied by bisonframes on topic Re: Blocking persistent offenders
Hi admin3, thanks for the reply :-)

I've set up a filter to only allow through connections from a limited number of IP addresses, so the firewall is now fielding the attempts from the rest of the world.

I was using a port other than 3389, so I'll switch it again now and see if the pestering stops.

• bisonframes
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Jul 2017 09:39 #4 by bisonframes
Replied by bisonframes on topic Re: Blocking persistent offenders
Port changed. All quiet. Silence is golden! :-)

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jul 2017 22:21 #5 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Blocking persistent offenders
As Admin3 says really.

What router are you running? Have you got an old server knocking about that will put you behind the firewall via at least pptp maybe?