DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Multi SSID with VLANs using 3rd party WAP

• mgnicks
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jul 2017 15:32 #1 by mgnicks
Hello All,

I am having some difficulty in getting consistent internet access using a 3rd party WAP with 2 SSIDs being broadcast.

Each SSID has been tagged with a VLAN ID of 20 and 30. So for example we have a staff SSID and User SSID. The staff SSID has been tagged with ID 20 and the user SSID has ID of 30.

I have created a network for LAN 2 with an address of 192.168.20.1/24. There is a DHCP scope of 192.168.20.10/24 and set to use NAT usage. DNS is set to google DNS. Lan 3 is configured the same but using 192.168.30.1 and the DHCP scope of 192.168.30.10/24.

LAN 1 uses 192.168.10.x/24

LAN 2 and 3 have been enabled. InterVLAN routing has also been enabled for both LAN 2 and 3 on LAN 1

VLAN 0 is allowed on all ports, VLAN 1 and 2 (VLAN 20 and 30) are enabled on only port 4 which is where the WAP is connected.

The VLAN and default gateway routes are seen as connected on the routing table.

So a user connects to the staff wifi and gets an address from the DHCP range applicable to their network (in the staff case 192.168.20.10) and then can browse the web. However, the access is extremely intermittent where DNS fails to resolve and packets are dropped. Sometimes more packets are dropped than received. This makes for browsing the web frustrating as you end up waiting for pages to load more often than not.

The Internet connection is provided by BT and works fine on the default network 192.168.10.0/24

The ultimate aim is to have each SSID provided with a different subnet range to then allow one of the subnets to be filtered for certain sites.

If I can't get this to work using VLANs, is there any other way to do so?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.