Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

BT Infinity - 130 & router, lower speeds than BT Hub

• john_u
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Jul 2017 12:05 #1 by john_u
Hi, about a week ago I installed a Vigor 130 along with a Netgear R7800 to replace my Smart Hub. The speed I'm getting is roughly similar, but it's lower - according to speedtest.net I'm consistently getting around 2Mbps slower download and 1.2 Mbps slower upload speeds with the new setup than with the Smart Hub.

When the Smart Hub is connected it reports 35Mbps down and 8.7Mbps up.
When I connect the 130 it shows a down speed of 34998 and an up speed of 7972 in the stats. I'm not 100% sure how to compare this, but I assume I divide by 1024 rather than 1000?

In terms of actual Speedtest reports, I'm getting 34Mbps down and 8Mbps up via the smarthub, and 32 down and 6.7 up with the 130/R7800 combo.

So depending on the correct converstion of Kbps to Mbps, the 130 seems to be syncing at slightly lower speeds than the smarthub, and if I'm understanding correctly the R7800 isn't delivering the full line speed achieved by the 130 (wired connections).

Wifi performance on the R7800 is better than the Smart Hub and I have much more control over configuration, plus the option of running DD-WRT, so slightly slower speeds may just be the price of not using BT equipment.

But I just wondered if anyone had any tips or suggestions to improve either the 130's sync speed, or the connection between the modem and the router - or am I misunderstanding the stats?

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2017 11:51 #2 by woodand
Hi Did you resolve this ?
I am having the same issue. PLusnet hub syncs at 46Mb , and Vigor 130 & Vigor 2925n is 44Mb giving me a 2Mb drop in reported speeds ..

• john_u
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Nov 2017 18:53 #3 by john_u
Yes and no. Yes because the 130 now shows 45865Kbps down / 8091Kbps up, no because I didn't specifically do anything to cause the improvement.

But my downstream speeds have increased until they're higher than I was getting with the BT Smart Hub. (Haven't looked at Speedtest in a while, but just now it showed 41Mbps down, again higher than before.)

I haven't reconnected the BT smart hub to try and determine if I get the same speeds now with that. It could be that the dynamic line management (or some other system) detected a new router, dropped the initial line speed and then increased it, and after a settling in period the Vigor 130 is performing better than the smart hub. Or it could be improvements to the BT external infrastructure are giving faster speeds regardless of which router I connect.