DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VirginMedia SH1 with Draytek 2830 in modem mode problem

• staffop
  • Topic Author
More
15 Aug 2017 12:22 #1 by staffop
Over the past few weeks, I've not been able to get the Draytek 2830 working with a VirginMedia SuperHub 1 in modem mode. The config has not changed since it was setup, but I don't know if perhaps an automatic firmware update on the SH1 has broken anything.

Attached are the screenshots from the Draytek config, it is as it was when setup. When I take the SH1 out of modem modem and directly connect a LAN cable it gets an external IP and full speed access. When I put it back in modem mode, the Draytek does not pick up an external IP or Internet access.
Firmware of the Draytek is the latest and I've tried various reboots Draytek first/SH1 first to try and get it back online but no joy. Also tried cloning MAC address of SH1 into Draytek config (although other posts suggest this is not necessary).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2017 13:10 #2 by hornbyp
I would disable "VLAN TAG INSERTION" and set "WAN CONNECTION DETECTION" to "ALWAYS ON".

I think you can up the MTU as well - though as a separate step. My 2860 is currently set to 1500.

P.S. No doubt you will have to reboot the SH1 to get the two devices in line. You should see it issue a 192.168.100.x address first, followed by the public IP.

More
15 Aug 2017 17:10 #3 by mbames
I'd agree with removing the vlan 101 tagging

• staffop
  • Topic Author
More
16 Aug 2017 11:37 #4 by staffop
That worked a treat, router sprang into life with a WAN address straight away and everything back on line.
Thank you for your assistance!

• staffop
  • Topic Author
More
22 Aug 2017 12:34 #5 by staffop
Unfortunately the success was short lived, the Draytek is losing the connection still to the SH1. Rebooting both the SH1 and Draytek has sorted it out but this has happened twice since I updated the settings. Is there anything else I can tweak ?

More
23 Aug 2017 00:22 #6 by hornbyp

staffop wrote: Is there anything else I can tweak ?

I think you'll need to go on an information-gathering exercise to get to the bottom of this...
...you need to know the state of the SH1 and 2830 before you reboot them.

There's no 'connection', as such from the 2830 to the SH1 (other than the bit of wire!) ... but the Superhub does have a concept of being connected to the Docsis network. It could even be down to something like power-levels that causes the SH1 to misbehave (i.e. a VirginMedia issue).

You've probably noticed that you can't access the SH1 GUI (http://192.168.100.1) via the 2830; I'll add a link to a thread with details on how to configure that.

See: https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=21631

Moderators: Sami