Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

The effects of uploading?

• theia
  • Topic Author
More
31 Aug 2017 08:50 #1 by theia
The effects of uploading? was created by theia
Hi,

I want to know if a (relatively) high upload afffects the download availability?

I noticed that out of our available 811 TX capacity that over 600 was being used by one person from their phone.
We sometimes get sluggish behaviour - especially downloading on our ADSL line.

Can this sort of uploading actually affect downloading?

Thanks

T.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2017 10:31 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: The effects of uploading?
If connections are stateful then yes because whichever way a transfer is going, there will be acknowledgements/telemetry coming back the other way.
It depends what effect you're seeing though; it should be possible to get reasonale speeds in both directions.

Forum Administrator

• theia
  • Topic Author
More
31 Aug 2017 16:23 #3 by theia
Replied by theia on topic Re: The effects of uploading?

admin wrote: If connections are stateful then yes because whichever way a transfer is going, there will be acknowledgements/telemetry coming back the other way.
It depends what effect you're seeing though; it should be possible to get reasonale speeds in both directions.

Thank you Admin

I do not understand what is meant by stateful, but I follow the point about acknowledgements/telemetry coming back the other way.

So I thought maybe a simple way to address this issue was to make a 300 mbps TX limit in 'Bandwidth Limit' on three IP addresses(The same model Mobile phones) which seem to have this behaviour. But this seemed to slow down my PC - amd I'm using a different IP. I can't see why this is happening.

So, Question: Does this bandwidth limitation method sound a simple, sensible approach and worth pursuing or am I missing something here?

Thanks

T.

Moderators: Sami