Virgin Super Hub 2 and Vigor 2860Ln

• paul rickwood
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Sep 2017 17:46 #1 by paul rickwood
Virgin Super Hub 2 and Vigor 2860Ln was created by paul rickwood
First a warning, I don't really know what I am doing!

So I have a new 2860Ln which I was hoping to use its VPN and LTE failover capabilities.

I am on Virgin Media and have a Super Hub 2 (a Netgear DG485).

I would like this to remain as a router and not switch it to Modem only mode.
Reason being it is at the bottom of the house and I want to connect things to it via ethernet cable plus it is nice to have the Wifi from it.

I have run an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports of the Superhub to the top of my house where the Vigor sits.

If I have the cable connected to the WAN2 of my Vigor, things pretty much work out of the box.

However, I have a PC connected to the Vigor that runs IP Camera software on and I want to have a Static IP Address for so I can access it via the internet using port forwarding.
This worked fine before when it was on the same subnet as the Super Hub, as the Super Hub could port forward to it.

But now the Vigor LAN1 is on a different subnet I can no longer do this.

I have tried port forwarding from the Super Hub to the Vigor WAN address and then port forwarding on the Vigor to the PC.
Not only does this not work, it also consistently freezes the Vigor after a few minutes requiring a reboot. Remove the port forward and it is fine again... odd.

So the question is can I expect to be able to do this?

Can the Vigor work on the same subnet as the Super Hub? This would be ideal if I could go back to my 192.168.0.x Static IP for the PC
A quick test seems to suggest not.

Is there some routing I can do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
10 Sep 2017 21:35 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Virgin Super Hub 2 and Vigor 2860Ln

Paul Rickwood wrote: So the question is can I expect to be able to do this?

Can the Vigor work on the same subnet as the Super Hub? This would be ideal if I could go back to my 192.168.0.x Static IP for the PC

No, because that means the Vigor's WAN Network address is the same as its LAN, so it won't be able to NAT the data back-and-forth. (Actually, it's probably technically possible - but it won't even try - it considers that a misconfiguration).

As you have it configured, when a device on the SH/2's LAN tries to access a device on the Vigor's LAN, it will send the data to its Default Gateway (the SH/2). In the absence of a defined route on the SH/2, it will forward the data to *its* Default Gateway - somewhere out in Virgin Media land. I can't remember if the SH/2 supports Static Routes or not, but if it does, you need it tell it how to get to the Vigor's LAN network (i.e. via the Vigor WAN address). If you enable RIP on the Vigor's WAN, the SH/2 might learn the route - though I wouldn't bank on it :( (I'm assuming that the Vigor obtains a WAN IP and Default gateway from the SH/2's DHCP server, so the return route should work).

You would need to 'open a port' on the 2860, rather than using Port Redirection to complete the circuit (assuming you aren't trying to change port numbers at the same time)). If it were to burst into life, the double-NAT that is occurring may stop some services from working...

If it were me, I'd put the SH/2 into modem mode, move the Vigor to the 'bottom of the house' and use the Vigor's functionality (rather than the SH/2's woeful offerings). If necessary, position a simple gigabit switch at the 'top of the house', where the Vigor is currently connected. I would strongly recommend only accessing the IP camera via the VPN - the security on some of these devices/services is easily compromised otherwise. If you visit http://shodan.io , you'll begin to see what I mean)

[I was on the SH/2 user trial - I rejected it part way through the trial, since Virgin Media were taking absolutely no notice of my feedback. Having said that, the SH/2 is damned sight better than the current Hub 3 offering]

• paul rickwood
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Sep 2017 21:44 #3 by paul rickwood
Replied by paul rickwood on topic Re: Virgin Super Hub 2 and Vigor 2860Ln
Thanks for the great reply.

Whilst the cams themselves aren't exposed (I get access via BlueIris camera software which requires authentication) I see what you mean and requiring a VPN connection is a good idea so I might leave it like this.

As to putting the SH/2 into Modem only, I might well do this, whilst it actually hasn't caused me many problems over the years it makes sense for the Vigor to take over the router role. I just need to wait until my wife is at work and hide it behind the TV. I have an old DIR-655 I can use upstairs as a 'wifi switch'.

If I go down this route will I have to change the fixed IP Addresses of the IP Cams that are currently on 192.168.0.x to match the 192.168.1.x subnet of the Vigor LAN1?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
11 Sep 2017 21:57 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Virgin Super Hub 2 and Vigor 2860Ln

Paul Rickwood wrote: If I go down this route will I have to change the fixed IP Addresses of the IP Cams that are currently on 192.168.0.x to match the 192.168.1.x subnet of the Vigor LAN1?

Well the Vigor has potentially many LANs, that can be set to whatever you require! ... "no tail wagging dog" required :)

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2017 10:06 #5 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Virgin Super Hub 2 and Vigor 2860Ln
Hi

In regards to the subnet settings, I would set this to something other that .1 and .0.

The reason for this is that if you are connected to a wifi that uses those ranges, you will experience problems trying to connect back via VPN, as the primary gateway will be the same. use something different like 192.168.105.x for example to minimise the issue.