Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Help with Fallback

• weehappypixie
  • Topic Author
More
07 Oct 2017 14:49 #1 by weehappypixie
Help with Fallback was created by weehappypixie
Hi Folks, hope you can assist me.

I've recently had 2 major outages with my ISP (Zen) which causes major issues with my smart home hubs so today I thought I would plug in my Huawei USB 3G dongle and configure WAN 3 as fallback. I configured WAN 3 as DHCP mode as the dongle has all the settings built into it, just plug in and it connects.

When I unplug my VDSL connection I can see WAN 3 kick in and connect via the 2860 status page and all looks OK from there however if I have a CMD prompt open running a ping google.com -t and then unplug the VDSL I get the usual no reply as expected and I would assume that once the USB dongle connects my ping would start replying again, it doesn't.

Any ideas where I have gone wrong. Plugging in the VDSL cable does as expected and drops the USB WAN 3 connection and switches back to WAN 1 and ping resumes.

Also, is it possible to limit the 3G dongle to only specific devices on my LAN like my smart hubs and not things link my NAS which does off site backups.

Thanks,

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2017 09:01 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Help with Fallback
Should have thought you could use load balancing/route policies with priority settings to configure the failover/failback and force certain IP's to only use WAN 1.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
12 Oct 2017 10:40 #3 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Help with Fallback
How have you configured the detection? If it is ping, then you will need to wait for the timeouts to kick in, but as Piste basher just said, use routing polices, much more flexible.