Routing DLNA (UPnP Media) across vnets

• psketch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Oct 2017 11:45 #1 by psketch
Hi

I've got 3 vnets defined with different subnets (192.168.1.x, 2.x and 3.x) on my 2860ac. My media server is on 3.x, and I run clients on 1.x. Works fine with my normal streaming clients as I can specify the ip address, but DLNA doesn't work as (I think) it's discovery mechanism uses UDP. So, question is - how do I get UDP to route across the different subnets/vnets?
ta

pete S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
18 Oct 2017 01:11 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Routing DLNA (UPnP Media) across vnets
I have the same issue - but haven't found an answer yet.

The problem seems to be the use of 'multicast' by DLNA, so the solution probably ought to be "IGMP-Proxy". On the 2860, you can set the IGMP Interface as "PVC/VLAN", but it doesn't seem to do any good. The Telnet client's "IP IGMP" command doesn't help either.

I came across a web page that points out IPv6 makes extensive use of multicasting, so I wonder if that can be invoked as a possible solution? (My current knowledge of IPv6 is roughly zero!)

More
18 Oct 2017 11:17 #3 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Routing DLNA (UPnP Media) across vnets
IGMP proxy is a link for IGMP packets from the WAN to the LAN interface(s).

LAN to LAN IGMP (the packets of which are specific to the broadcast domain /VLAN that they're located on) would require some additional facility to perform IGMP forwarding / relay. If it's something that you need, I recommend contacting the support team to request that facility (which would require implementation in firmware)

Forum Administrator

• psketch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Oct 2017 11:42 #4 by psketch
Replied by psketch on topic Re: Routing DLNA (UPnP Media) across vnets

admin3 wrote: IGMP proxy is a link for IGMP packets from the WAN to the LAN interface(s).

LAN to LAN IGMP (the packets of which are specific to the broadcast domain /VLAN that they're located on) would require some additional facility to perform IGMP forwarding / relay. If it's something that you need, I recommend contacting the support team to request that facility (which would require implementation in firmware)

OK - will do.

Thanks

pete S.

• 36bits
  • User
  • User
More
20 Oct 2017 14:30 #5 by 36bits
Replied by 36bits on topic Re: Routing DLNA (UPnP Media) across vnets
If your media server supports multiple VLAN interfaces then you could configure appropriately tagged interfaces on the media server and define a corresponding VLAN tag on the 2860 for each of your three subnets. That way the DLNA multi-casts won't need to be routed by the 2860 and will reach the clients. I've configured a similar setup and also included an un-tagged VLAN for clients that don't support tagging.

• psketch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Oct 2017 14:42 #6 by psketch
Replied by psketch on topic Re: Routing DLNA (UPnP Media) across vnets

36bits wrote: If your media server supports multiple VLAN interfaces then you could configure appropriately tagged interfaces on the media server and define a corresponding VLAN tag on the 2860 for each of your three subnets. That way the DLNA multi-casts won't need to be routed by the 2860 and will reach the clients. I've configured a similar setup and also included an un-tagged VLAN for clients that don't support tagging.

Thanks, and I do have vlan tagging setup already for 2 of the subnets for other purposes. Sadly though, the DLNA server doesn't support vlans (it's a plugin to my Squeezebox server running on a Pi3), and most of the clients I use don't support tagging (e.g. from a TV, from a built in client on a receiver, built into a remote control etc..) DLNA isn't what I use for my main music streaming - it's just for all the other stuff.