Speed Decrease Since 3.8.5_BT

• dazza1234
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Oct 2017 14:10 #1 by dazza1234
Speed Decrease Since 3.8.5_BT was created by dazza1234
Hi I tweaked my draytek 2860 SNR to -50 on i think 3.8.4 and got an attainable of 68000 something. The lower the SNR went on the diagnostics page the more my attainable increased in speed, At that point i was on BT's FTTC unto 52Mbps so actual speed never increased, Now BT have allowed everyone previously on upto 52Mbps to have unto 76Mbps. Now after updating the to 3.5.8_BT it started dropping out every 2 min's or so.

So i defaulted the SNR to factory, and got the rubbish attainable i have been trying to better which is 48000 so i changed the SNR to -45 which got me an attainable of 66000. Now i cut out 10 meters of cable run on the VDSL connection to try and increase the speed to which i can't really see an improvement. Now my SNR margins have started to drop to 5,4 or even 3 the lower it get's the worse my attainable get's which on the previous firmware the lower it got the better my speeds, but now the reverse seems to be happening.

It would be good if we could get Draytek to incorporate a way to tweak the SNR margin to a desired point ie mine seems to be better at 6db rather than anything lower. As Telnet VDSL SNR tweak can only make adjustments lower than the value that the Fibre Cab is sending the modem, so the lower the cab drops it the modem then tells it it needs to go lower rather than keeping it at a set margin, like the Billion. 6db seems to be the sweet spot but i can't keep it there and since BT have now lowered there SNR to 3db its harder to keep a good attainable. The New firmware 3.8.5_BT seems to drop connection. Ive never seen this do this on another firmware anyone else having similar issues?

Can anyone assist in getting the best line signal speed?

Here is a copy of my diagnostics
Diagnostics >> DSL Status

General Tone Information | Refresh |
ATU-R Information
Type: VDSL2
Hardware: Annex A
Firmware: 05-07-06-0D-01-07
Power Mngt Mode: DSL_G997_PMS_L0
Line State: SHOWTIME
Running Mode: 17A
Vendor ID: 00000000 00000000
ATU-C Information
Vendor ID: b5004244 434da48c [BDCM]
Line Statistics

Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate 48999 Kbps 19345 Kbps
Attainable Rate 64831 Kbps 19345 Kbps
Path Mode Fast Fast
Interleave Depth 1 1
Actual PSD 7. 2 dB 13. 7 dB
Near End Far End
Trellis ON ON
Bitswap ON ON
ReTx 1 1
SNR Margin 5 dB 6 dB
Attenuation 16 dB 21 dB
CRC 0 1387
FECS 0 s 637 s
ES 0 s 646 s
SES 0 s 8 s
LOSS 0 s 5 s
UAS 30 s 256787 s
HEC Errors 0 0
RS Corrections 0 0
LOS Failure 0 0
LOF Failure 0 0
LPR Failure 0 0
NCD Failure 0 0
LCD Failure 0 0
NFEC 32 32
RFEC 16 16
LYSMB 16 16

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2017 09:44 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Speed Decrease Since 3.8.5_BT
Having a target SNR rather than a target + or - to the MSAN's suggested value would probably be a good improvement - Given the issues you're seeing since the upgrade, I think it would be worth making a support ticket to look at that and request that change to use a specified target SNR.

If you're still seeing connection drops since the update, give the Vector 4 modem code a try, that can help with some lines.

Forum Administrator

• dazza1234
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Oct 2017 16:34 #3 by dazza1234
Replied by dazza1234 on topic Re: Speed Decrease Since 3.8.5_BT
Ok cool thanks but vector 4 doesn’t work for me at all on 3.8.5 it did on previous but not on this which is weird. Thanks for your help.

• kneejerk
  • User
  • User
More
28 Oct 2017 14:44 #4 by kneejerk
Replied by kneejerk on topic Re: Speed Decrease Since 3.8.5_BT
I also have had numerous WAN drops on 3.8.5_BT, to such an extend it has made the connection unusable. Have put in a 'standard' BT VDSL modem connected to WAN2 and no line drops at all.

• dazza1234
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Oct 2017 15:19 #5 by dazza1234
Replied by dazza1234 on topic Re: Speed Decrease Since 3.8.5_BT
KNEEJERK Only problem is I've tweaked my SNR which has given me a lot more speed, i did have my connection stable at 68Mbps for 500meters away from the cab i think that is brill i don't want to go back to 43Mbps by replacing it plus think i got rid of my home hub :( Please log a ticket with Draytek to get them to check it out I've done it for mine already but more pressure on them would help resolve it faster think. Plus tell them you would like it if it had an SNR profile that you could set instead of + or - SNR

• rob.nicholson
  • User
  • User
More
06 Nov 2017 11:02 #6 by rob.nicholson
Replied by rob.nicholson on topic Re: Speed Decrease Since 3.8.5_BT
I'm new to Draytek replacing a new BT Business Hub at a rural client's site. Replaced mainly because this is a wedding barn and it has to be stable. Despite being the latest model with latest firmware, they reported they kept having to reboot the BT Router because they lost access - I'm not onsite and the BT hub doesn't allow remote management so was kind of stuck. Suggests the BT router is still buggy if it gets into a state where a reboot is needed!

When I first installed the Draytek 2860 last week, I obviously ran a speedtest and was rather surprised that it only got 13-14Mbps. I thought their link was faster. Plugged the BT router back in and speedtest was reporting a slightly higher speed of 14-15Mbps. So my memory was faulty and having checked (in anal detail) distance from the cabinet, this speed is perfectly within expected speeds.

However, I have tested it since and the 2860 does give ~10% less speed through speedtest. I did read (when researching Draytek) that the Draytek devices did give slower throughout than the BT hardware but most of those posts were several years old so I assumed the speed difference had been tightened up.

Personally, I think my customer would prefer stability over this slight difference in speed which the 2860 does appear to be giving. As technical support, I love the rich functionality of the Vigor.