DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

SNR Margin is really high but attainable Speed have gone up!

• dazza1234
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Oct 2017 16:05 #1 by dazza1234
Hi guys i have no idea what is happening here, my attainable went through the roof to 81464Kbps with an SNR margin of 15 for download and 24090Kbps with an SNR margin of 10 for upload. Now my SNR margin is down to 10 and the attainable is 66300Kbps download, How come my attainable seems to go up the higher the SNR margin, i thought the lover the SNR margin the higher the speed is but this seems to be happening in reverse can someone explain? Thanks in a advance, Running Draytek 2860 on firmware 3.8.5_BT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2017 18:31 #2 by piste basher
I think you are confusing signal to noise ratio (SNR) with SNR Margin.

The Signal to Noise Ratio, as its name implies, is the ratio between the strength of the signal and the level of noise on the line. That ratio is a major factor in determining the connection speed, as the higher the ratio the higher the possible speed. The signal to noise ratio is NOT something that you can do anything to alter, unless you have e.g. dodgy wiring in your premises which could be changed to increase the SNR.

The SNR Margin is a margin which by which the noise level can rise before connection is lost. The lower that is the more "tenacious" the connection, but it should not affect the actual speed (not the attainable, which seems to be somewhat optimistic on the DS side in my experience).

Have a look here http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/noise_margin-snr-snrm.html

• dazza1234
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Oct 2017 18:47 #3 by dazza1234
Sorry i didn't make it clear yes i'm talking about the SNR Margin heading and Original post altered to that effect