2820Vn and TalkTalk Huawei HG633 Super Router

• crowdog
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Nov 2017 21:18 #1 by crowdog
Hello,

I've wasted 2 evening trying to search for information that will tell me how to set up my VIGOR 2820 Vn with my TalkTalk supplied Huawei HG633 (not so) super router. I don't know if this is possible so I thought I would ask someone who knows rather than keep searching forever and getting nowhere.
I don't have too much knowledge on the subject so any help would be massively appreciated.

For information, I am wanting to do this as the WiFi is really poor so my father in law gave me this Draytek model he used to use at work.

Thanks,
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
03 Nov 2017 00:25 #2 by hornbyp
I've used a 2830n with a HG633 on TalkTalk, so it's definitely possible. I still have the HG633 somewhere...

You need to set the HG633 into 'Bridge Mode' and switch off its Wifi and DHCP server (See HERE ).

On the 2820, set its WAN2 port to use PPPoE and enter your TalkTalk username/password. (I can't remember the MTU to be used, but 1492 is an educated guess).

Leave the VLAN tag (101?) configured on the HG633 - it is possible to do that on the Draytek instead, but there's no advantage to be had with the 2820/2830. Ensure that DHCP is enabled and configured on the 2820's LAN, along with its Wifi.

Connect an Ethernet cable between the Draytek WAN port and the Huawei's LAN (I think any port can be used).

• crowdog
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Nov 2017 12:35 #3 by crowdog
Thanks for the reply. Had a busy few days but I'll try your advice and let you know how it goes :)

More
05 Nov 2017 09:20 #4 by admin
A Vigor 2820 is very old (10 years? ) and might not support ADSL2+ (not sure) and it may not give adequate performance for a high speed line.... Also the wireless is only 802.11n max so the TalkTalk device is probably just as good.

Forum Administrator

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
05 Nov 2017 17:49 #5 by mbames

admin wrote: A Vigor 2820 is very old (10 years? ) and might not support ADSL2+ (not sure) and it may not give adequate performance for a high speed line.... Also the wireless is only 802.11n max so the TalkTalk device is probably just as good.

2820 is fine on LLU, I used to use mine quite happy, even when I switched to fibre, I was used HG612 in bridge mode and it chuntered along quite happily.