DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Help configuring Vigor 2830n with TP Link access point

• iamwill
  • Topic Author
More
12 Nov 2017 17:21 #1 by iamwill
Hi

I’ve got a Vigor 2830n V1 (which has served me very well over the last few years) and wanted to extend the network by adding a TP-Link N300 Universal Range Extender. I chose the TP Link because it worked like an access point where I plug it into the 2830n with a (cat6 rj45) cable and it extends the wifi the new location. I’ve spent the day researching / testing and I can’t get it to work. I’ve got it showing up on the network and can configure it via a web browser but when I try to get one of my mac’s to join the wifi network it repots back that there is no ip and can not connect to the internet. If anyone has any advice I’d be really grateful.

Many thanks

Will

Here’s a picture of the unit...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
13 Nov 2017 02:05 #2 by hornbyp
I read this: http://static.tp-link.com/1910011920_TL-WA850RE_V3V4V5_UG.pdf and had a play with the emulator at : http://uk.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/RE850_Emulator/RE/index.html (I assume this is the right device?)

By default, it appears to be a wireless range extender / repeater - taking the 2830n's wifi and rebroadcasting it. If you switch mode to what they describe as "Access Point" mode, it uses the Ethernet port and appears to work more like a Bridge...The Ethernet shouldn't be connected to the 2830n in either scenario - the link to that is Wireless.

You should configure the LAN address of the TP-Link to match your 2830n - and (probably) switch off its DHCP server.

• iamwill
  • Topic Author
More
15 Nov 2017 16:44 #3 by iamwill
Thanks Hornbyp. I've decided to send it back to amazon and get a proper Draytek solution. I spent a considerable amount of my Sunday tinkering with the setting to no avail.