DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Weird issue with Netflix streaming - FIXED!

• skwerl
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Nov 2017 21:05 #1 by skwerl
Recently my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 refused to stream Netflix. I can access Netflix and I can download and watch content but when I try to stream something I just get the "loading' dialogue with the spinny red circle which, oddly, never times out. No error messages etc. but just sits on loading page for hours.
The weird part is that other devices (ATV, iPhone, iPad) can all stream fine and my Galaxy tab works on everything except a Draytek hosted network. ie I can stream on another network and if I connect my Sky router to my phone line I can stream ok. It's only when my 2806AC is providing Internet access that it doesn't work. I can also stream fine with Amazon Prime
I don't have any weird setup on the router. No specific firewall rules, no QoS, etc. All I have is a 2.4GHz Network and a 910 AP running in Universal repeater mode. I eliminated the AP by running a 5GHz Wifi directly off the 2860 and still had a problem.
Just upgrade to latest FW (3.8.5.1) and it hasn't helped.
I can't be sure but I think Netflix stopped working after the Play store installed an update on Nov 15th - can't be sure though and wondering how an update can be so specific. It's the only recent change though. Netflix deny anything on their side.
Pretty stumped

erm. Ok. Fixed it myself. Last thing I tried was to provide a OpenDNS address instead of Google's 8.8.8.8 as my primary DNS server and it solved the issue. I'd love to know why it was so specific to only Netflix only on my galaxy tab, if anyone has any theories.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
22 Nov 2017 00:26 #2 by hornbyp
Interesting.

I have my own internal DNS servers (as part of an Active Directory infrastructure), and the Vigor firewall blocks attempts at outside world DNS access from anywhere other than these two internal servers (which forward to OpenDNS).

This works OK, but the firewall syslog is always full of failed requests to 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 from Android devices. I can see that DHCP has given them the correct internal DNS server addresses, but there must be some Android software that tries Google first, come what may?!?

(We used to have a TAB 2 in the house - but I can't remember if it ever suffered failures on Netflix. In general, it worked with the above configuration)

As an aside, have you explored the (new) Quad9 DNS (9.9.9.9) offering?

• peter galbavy
  • User
  • User
More
14 Dec 2017 14:48 #3 by peter galbavy
Replied by peter galbavy on topic Re: Weird issue with Netflix streaming - FIXED!
I had a similar issue - Google reply too quickly, stacking UDP packets together and the DoS filters kick in. Even increasing the number of UDP packets per second only helped a little and I just turned the UDP filters off. All is now well.

This happened to both Netflix and iPlayer to various devices in the house.

• skwerl
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Dec 2017 15:12 #4 by skwerl
Thanks, Pete. Hope the cats are well
Mr Ashton