2830n Bandwidth Management Ignores Settings

• sc2006
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Nov 2017 09:17 #1 by sc2006
Good morning,

I have a peculiar issue which I am hoping someone can help with.

I want to implement bandwidth management through our 2830n across all users to stop windows updates (or ios updates) taking up all of the available bandwidth and grinding everyone else to a halt. However when I enable bandwidth management then it ignores whatever default values I enter at the top and just uses 100 Kbps for rx and tx which stops everyone working. I have used 10000 Kbps, 9999 Kbps, 10 Mbps, nothing works (I don't want to allow auto adjustment as that defeats the purpose of this).

I have scoured the forum for possible answers and found talk about keeping the firewall data filter on, I can confirm that is on. I have just updated the firmware to 3.6.8.7_sb_232201 in case that was the issue, but it does exactly the same afterwards.

Has anybody experienced this before? Or have any insights into why I can't limit the bandwidth properly.

We're using an uncontended 40 down 20 up FTTC line, so we definitely have more than 100 Kbps per user available!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
29 Nov 2017 13:11 #2 by hornbyp
I've never used the "Bandwidth Management" stuff - so can't comment on that...

...If you can categorise the traffic you want to limit, within a Firewall Rule, you could use that rule to assign a Q.O.S. Class to it. Then, (obviously!), set up that Q.O.S. class to have the share of the bandwidth that you deem appropriate.

• sc2006
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Nov 2017 14:41 #3 by sc2006
Thank you hornbyp, that is my backup plan if I can't get a resolution to the bandwidth management issue.

However it would be so much easier to just allocate a default limit across all users, plus it bugs me that the feature won't work as intended :evil: