DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Bizarre router behaviour

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
30 Nov 2017 09:11 #1 by piste basher
Bizarre router behaviour was created by piste basher
1) For the past 6 weeks or so I've been running a 2925ac with WAN1 fed from a 130 as vdsl modem and WAN2 connected to a Netgear 4G mobile hotspot as failover. This setup has been stable and working as expected.
Over last weekend I noticed that the WAN2 connection was dropping (green LED disappearing) quite frequently, but would re-establish itself. After some time the WAN1 connection LED also extinguished, although as far as the 130 was concerned the vdsl and LAN connections were still up and running. Both WAN1 and WAN2 no longer re-established.
At this point all PCs on the LAN notified not only that they had no internet connection but also that they had no network connection - even though all the lights on the router LAN ports were green :roll:
The only way to resolve this was to switch the router off and back on again, but the problem would recur a short time later.
All devices on the latest firmware.
Not wishing to go through a possibly protracted session with Draytek support whilst being without a reliable internet connection I ordered a 2862 which is now up and running fine at present :? (Although it will not connect WAN2 on 5G as it should, I had this problem with a previous 2860 which was sorted in a firmware update. Not a great problem as I can use the 2.4G connection for now).
I reset the 2925 to factory and set it up on a stand alone PC with a WAN2 connection to the Netgear. That has now run for 24 hours without a hitch - but clearly I can't trust it in the primary role.

2) The 2862 replacement is running fine but there is an oddity in the Dashboard - the system date and time displays correctly at first but after about 30 seconds it decides to be a month ahead - today is December 30th for example. Very odd, but doesn't seem to be affecting anything else.

Any thoughts/ideas/comments welcome !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
01 Dec 2017 11:04 #2 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Bizarre router behaviour
The Date and Time issue, I have with a 2925Ln, and a 2860n+, both on latest firmware, although I have a pre-release of 3.8.5 for the 2925 due to another issue raised with it running into a cold crash after four days.

The 2925 runs back a month, and the 2860 runs forward a month. DT support informed me these are known issues, and will be rectified in the next release.

I stongly recommend addressing your primary issue to DT support TW.

Thanks

Pete

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
01 Dec 2017 13:31 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Bizarre router behaviour
Thanks Pete. Looking back at my orders I see that it was in fact nearly 2 months of stable running before the issue occurred. I've taken it up with the retailer who will only "repair or replace" as it's past their 30 day refund policy - as it would be since it took 2 months to fail :roll: I suspect that if I return it to them they'll say there's nothing wrong with it - unless perhaps they can do a long term "test" as I have essentially done.

At present the 2862 is working fine and the 2925 is sitting in its box. When I get time I'll probably send it back and see what happens. I can't keep swapping routers while support fiddle around with logins, config files, beta firmwares etc.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
01 Dec 2017 13:45 #4 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Bizarre router behaviour
I see what you mean, and it is not as if you can restore the config backup's from one to another on the basis, that they are different models.

Regardless, good luck, and let me know the outcome of your primary issue.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
02 Dec 2017 16:41 #5 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Bizarre router behaviour
[quote="Piste Basher"
At this point all PCs on the LAN notified not only that they had no internet connection but also that they had no network connection - even though all the lights on the router LAN ports were green :roll:
[/quote]

I know you have have changed units now, but did you consider placing a switch between the 2925 and your wired machines?

I have a similar config to you, but no issues. I do however have a Sam Knows box in the mix too:

2925 (lan1-vlan0) -> sam knows -> tp-link switch -> wired clients & 2 x AP 910c
2925 (lan2-vlan0) -> empty
2925 (lan1-vlan1) -> feed from vigor 130
2925 (lan1-vlan1) -> feed to WAN1 on 2925
2925 (lan1-vlan1) -> space cable to connect up so I can see 130 stats if required