• theia
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Dec 2017 15:01 #1 by theia
Bandwidth Management questions was created by theia
Hi,

We use a Vigor 2860ac , and our max ADSL speed tops out at 5Mbps. 'Allow auto adjustment to assign available bandwidth equally' is ticked.

Could somebody please clarify:

Will it give our six devices a faster internet performances if I enable Bandwidth Management to give them UP of 200 and down limit of 3000 - rather than a dl speed of 800 each? ....
I can't see why not to do it... but is this the most useful setting or should I in fact lower the default limitation list? In tests it causes users to complain about a slow connection.
...I mean if the Bandwidth Management default TX and RX are raised does the router spend 'so much time' dividing up the total bandwidth when allocating bandwidth that the overall download speed drops?
:?:
T.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
04 Dec 2017 11:31 #2 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Bandwidth Management questions
Should be okay.

I would switch it off, and only use it to prioritize or restrict LAN clients accordingly. The default values, are default values, and I would remove those (set them to 0, which is unlimited I think?), then set each client, with a binded MAC - IP.

I am assuming you don't have a lot of clients to admin a MAC binding session?

• theia
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Dec 2017 11:58 #3 by theia
Replied by theia on topic Re: Bandwidth Management questions

silverstreak_2006 wrote: Should be okay.

I would switch it off, and only use it to prioritize or restrict LAN clients accordingly. The default values, are default values, and I would remove those (set them to 0, which is unlimited I think?), then set each client, with a binded MAC - IP.

I am assuming you don't have a lot of clients to admin a MAC binding session?

Thank you silverstreak_2006. I do use bound MAC Ip's.

If it helps, our situation is a big household. They are not demanding. and although the number of computers/ipads in use is 4-6, we sometimes get into a situation where mobile phones are also being used minimally, or someone wishes to watch a specific online movie, and so I juggle things to it satisfies everyone about 90% of the time.

Would you mind confirming that you mean switch off 'Allow auto adjustment to assign available bandwidth equally' please?

T.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
04 Dec 2017 13:26 #4 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Bandwidth Management questions
T

Correct, just manage it yourself. If I had a 5 meg connection, I would restrict all third party users to 4 meg, so there is still a little browsing bandwidth left, on the assumption that...

First, it is very likely that only one person will be running a video (most of the time)
Secondly, If you don't use management, it should be ok on a small number of users
Thirdly, consider Wifi interference from neighbours, it might be worth looking at changing your Wifi channel after scanning who is using what channels, another subject I won't dwell on.

Regards

Pete

• theia
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Dec 2017 17:45 #5 by theia
Replied by theia on topic Re: Bandwidth Management questions

silverstreak_2006 wrote: T

Correct, just manage it yourself. If I had a 5 meg connection, I would restrict all third party users to 4 meg, so there is still a little browsing bandwidth left, on the assumption that...

First, it is very likely that only one person will be running a video (most of the time)
Secondly, If you don't use management, it should be ok on a small number of users
Thirdly, consider Wifi interference from neighbours, it might be worth looking at changing your Wifi channel after scanning who is using what channels, another subject I won't dwell on.

Regards

Pete

Thank you silverstreak_2006, very much appreciated.

T.