2860 with BT Smart Hub

• turf2surf
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Dec 2017 12:55 #1 by turf2surf
2860 with BT Smart Hub was created by turf2surf
Hi, I have a slow FTTC line, 1.9km from the cabinet and with line attenuation about 34db. When installed in 2014, I was promised at least 18Mbps, but latterly have got only 12Mbps with a BT Smart Hub. I recently changed from BT to Plusnet, keeping the BT Smart Hub, and the speed was unaffected.

I recently bought a 2860 so I could use 4G to boost the connection when everyone is online. Unfortunately, using the VDSL modem in the 2860 only gets me 7Mbps, so I'm wondering if I could go back to the BT Smart Hub for the VDSL connection and link that to the WAN2 port. Can anybody tell me what the settings in the 2860 and BT Smart Hub should be, or point me in the right direction? Ideally, I would be able to access the Smart Hub through 192.168.1.254 at the same time as accessing the 2860 using 192.168.1.1, and use the DHCP server in the 2860. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• turf2surf
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Dec 2017 08:08 #2 by turf2surf
Replied by turf2surf on topic Re: 2860 with BT Smart Hub
OK, trivial once I had replaced a faulty ethernet cable:
- Smart Hub set to use non-conflicted subnet 192.168.8.x
- WAN2 on 2860 set to DHCP

Still a mystery why BT Smart Hub syncs at over 13Mbps when Hub One syncs at 6Mbps and Draytek at 7Mbps...

• rob.nicholson
  • User
  • User
More
07 Dec 2017 19:53 #3 by rob.nicholson
Replied by rob.nicholson on topic Re: 2860 with BT Smart Hub
A new client installation at a similar distance got 13Mbps when first connected but after a few weeks it's crept up to 17Mbps - which is around the ballpark expected at such long distances from the cabinet.

Cheers, Rob

• rob.nicholson
  • User
  • User
More
07 Dec 2017 20:16 #4 by rob.nicholson
Replied by rob.nicholson on topic Re: 2860 with BT Smart Hub
Also, are you using the BT firmware? 3.8.5_BT is the version my client is running. According to the documentation, the BT firmware has the correct settings baked into it:

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/vigor-2860-vdsl-setup

• turf2surf
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Dec 2017 07:23 #5 by turf2surf
Replied by turf2surf on topic Re: 2860 with BT Smart Hub
Thanks for your input, Rob! I had upgraded to the latest firmware, 3.8.5.1_BT, and settings were as per your link. I take the point that speeds would probably climb over time with the 2860, but felt I could not take the risk of potentially losing the relatively good speed I have with the Smart Hub, which gave me the higher speed the moment I plugged it in. I am considering getting a parallel Plusnet line so I can experiment without risk. Cheers, John