Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Getting the 2862ac up and running with BT Infinity

• jrp
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Dec 2017 16:30 #1 by jrp
I've got a 2862ac up and running on BT Infinity, but have a significant number of problems to get back to where I was (with a Cisco RV134w). On my LAN I have networking (DHCP, DNS) run mainly through Windows Server 2016 Active Directory.

* I can't see how to set up my local domain, for IP4 addresses (my domain.local). Previous routers and even the BT Hub had a setting for this.

* I'm not sure what the right IPv6 settings are for the WAN. I have tried acquiring IPv6 using ppp, and see that I have a prefix, but can't see how to enable prefix delegation or router advertisements (to point DNS to my Servers)

* The Draytek 2.4G wifi works OK, but the 5G wifi doesn't seem to work with my Apple ac products. They join the network, but then get bounced off. I have tried reentering the password into the Draytek manually, and then get bad password on the iPAD. (I've set things for WPA2 private only). I've added the GB flag to the settings. No difference.

* UPnP doesn't seem to want to play with my QNAP 4.3.3 NAS (ie, the NAS cannot open the ports that it needs automatically). I dare say that this is because IPv6 isn't yet fully set up, but who knows.

* Port forwarding for ports 80 and 443 seems to be impossible without fiddling with the management port settings, to move them off these ports. I have no idea why, since I don't have remote management enabled, so far as I know, so there should be no conflict. This is a pain, another port number to remember... Incidentally, remote management is not feasible with this device as it wants to reboot for almost every setting, which changes my WAN IP address...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2017 09:26 #2 by piste basher
I can try and help (or not) with a couple of these, I also have a 2862ac:-

You might find the iPv6 settings you need under the LAN setup pages, that's where most of them are after you have enabled ppp on the WAN.

My 5G wifi seems to work OK with an iPhone X, so not sure what your problem is. However a previous Draytek 2860 5G wifi issue was resolved in a firmware update.

I have never found Draytek upnp to work with either a Qnap NAS or a Windows Home server. Haven't tried it with anything else.

You still need a port (default 80) for local management as far as I know.

• jrp
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Dec 2017 11:41 #3 by jrp
Thanks. Good to know what works and what doesn’t.

I had thought that if you disabled remote management (or rather, didn’t enable it), port 80 could be used on the WAN.

I had assumed that the 5G password was the same as the 2G one. It would be good to see where the draytek’s logs are, to see what it is doing it its end. I’m trying to set up a site-to-site vpn. There are some good docs showing how to fill in the relevant forms, but nothing about where to look to see what’s going on.

More
10 Dec 2017 12:44 #4 by piste basher
The 5G password will be whatever you set it to be - can be same as 2.4G or different. The syslog(s) have to be enabled by you but unless you save them to usb stick or server they'll disappear at reboot. Re the latter you can usually ignore the reboot messages and change several settings before "fixing" them all with a reboot.

• jrp
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Dec 2017 14:43 #5 by jrp
Thanks. I've set the 5G password manually at both ends, and the iPhone reports that it is incorrect, so i have no idea what the matter is.

So this is where I am:

Starting with the Cisco RV134w, which is a good ex-Linksys, BusyBox based router, based on a BroadCom SoC, and WiFi is solid. Does all that I want *except* that it doesn't support IpSec IKE2, which makes it harder to create site-to-site VPNs to Azure; that was the main reason for trying the Draytek. The IPv6 is straightforward to set up. However, documentation is basic (written by numbers).

The Draytek:
* should be more BT-compatible at the VDSL level, but the speeds that I get with either router are very similar.
* has much better documentation, although it is still weak on troubleshooting, and it can be hard to assess whether a particular document applies to the current firmware / router model.
* UPnP does work with my QNAP (although it did pick up an ftp UPNP from a local Windows server that I didn't realise I had, the Cisco doesn't)
* Port forwarding doesn't work in the way that some of the documentation suggests that it should, in that
* 5G wifi doesn't work for me, for no obvious reason.
* IPSec to Azure works, but you have to go in manually to set the right encryption / authentication parameters. Trying to get a tunnel by negotiation, as the application note here suggests should work, doesn't seem to get a tunnel. Even when you do get a tunnel (the connection is Active), the tunnel doesn't seem to be recognised in the connections part of the management interface.
* web-based syslogging works, once you find it.
* traffic monitoring is better than the Cisco
* the need to reboot after changing settings is ugly. I very rarely, if ever, need to reboot the rv134w during setup.
* the command line interfaces on both routers are very basic
* there is more evidence that Draytek are improving the firmware, whereas I suspect that the Cisco box will live with its current (ie, 2015) feature set.

So, for the moment, I'm back to the Cisco RV134w and using a Windows Server + static route, to connect to Azure. This isn't particularly robust, but it works.

• mike.smith
  • User
  • User
More
20 Dec 2017 08:47 #6 by mike.smith
Did you put the correct country code into your Wi-fi setup? If you don’t then you can get erroneous results as some countries have some frequencies available and not others.