Enabling USB Syslog causes corruption on my 2862n

• oakserver
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Dec 2017 16:56 #1 by oakserver
Hi,

Twice now I've enabled Syslog on the USB device using an 8GB USB Drive (Kingston) formatted to FAT32.

First time, after about a week I found I was unable to access the USB device from the Draytek router, when I removed and put into a PC I found that the filenames had been corrupted and bits of the filenames were actually the contents of the log. I had to reformat.

I tried enabling again and found about 2 weeks later not only could I no longer access the USB drive, but the web interface of the device started corrupting with strange bits of log text all over the place. I tried restarting the device and found it wouldn't reboot. With 3 vertical and 3 horizontal lights on the unit flashing.

The firmware was corrupt.

I had to refresh the device with the latest firmware to get it working again. I'm worried to enable the USB Syslog again as it seems to have serious problems.

I wonder if this is a hardware or firmware problem on my 2862n?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
02 Jan 2018 11:30 #2 by mbames
I'd try another USB stick to start with....

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
03 Jan 2018 14:30 #3 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Enabling USB Syslog causes corruption on my 2862n
I find USB sticks can cause reboots when large amounts of data are copied, thus interupting the process.

With syslog, appears ok, but may reboot pending how many logs it has to write, which can be weeks on end, so can be ok for that. This is in both a 2860, and a 2925, perhaps a recommended brand of USB should be used for these?

• oakserver
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Jan 2018 12:18 #4 by oakserver

silverstreak_2006 wrote: I find USB sticks can cause reboots when large amounts of data are copied, thus interupting the process.

With syslog, appears ok, but may reboot pending how many logs it has to write, which can be weeks on end, so can be ok for that. This is in both a 2860, and a 2925, perhaps a recommended brand of USB should be used for these?

Interesting. I've resorted to removing the USB drive for now and having the Router send messages to the syslog on my NAS instead. Working fine but obviously keeps my nas from sleeping which isn't ideal.

I wonder if there is a recommended USB stick as you suggest.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
11 Jan 2018 18:27 #5 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Enabling USB Syslog causes corruption on my 2862n
Oakserver

Yes, I wonder too, but also if you look in the SAMBA compatibility list, you can see an M (maybe) against Windows 8.1, and Y (yes) against Windows 10, and believe it or not, it took more data with Windows 10, than 8.1, so could be related to client more than USB. I have had my longest run on Draytek 2925 for 600 plus minutes, the 2860 has seen the regular updates, so not had a long run, plus I have not really used it only for syslogging.

The worst thing is deleteing, and the amount of undeleteable rubbish it leaves on the stick. You actually have to remove the stick, and insert into a client to format / delete. I did give up on this ages ago. Copying large files (very large infact), is another thing also.

I suppose I should have raised a case for this, note I have even parralel up the USB with another five volt rail incase there was lack of current, and that was causing issues, I have noticed this on using two dongles (when playing), or on an Ln, with a dongle, seen outages and corruption, and even rebooting on attempting to power up two devices at once, thus a continual reboot, but that's another story not particular relevant to the thread.