Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

internet time takes ages to set router time after reboot

• jimbox51
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
31 Dec 2017 20:20 #1 by jimbox51
I've set my local time server, on my lan, as the internet time server on my 2760. works fine.
But after a reboot it takes quite a while to query the server and set the time. I'm syslog'ing to a syslog server and
see the time stamps of the syslog entries set to just after midnight Jan 1st, then eventually the real time/date is seen.
Is there something I can do to get the time right from pretty soon after boot?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
01 Jan 2018 08:22 #2 by mbames
How much of a delay "after boot" is there before the real time is seen?

If it is a combined unit, then you need to wait for the line to sync, and for authentication to take place before the ntp part of the router of the router could even think about querying the internet for the time. Do you have other machines on your network which are more likely to be powered up when the router reboots which could act as your internal ntp server (maybe your syslog server) and you could point the router towards that instead?

• jimbox51
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Jan 2018 11:59 #3 by jimbox51

mbames wrote: How much of a delay "after boot" is there before the real time is seen?

If it is a combined unit, then you need to wait for the line to sync, and for authentication to take place before the ntp part of the router of the router could even think about querying the internet for the time. Do you have other machines on your network which are more likely to be powered up when the router reboots which could act as your internal ntp server (maybe your syslog server) and you could point the router towards that instead?

It syncs time well after the boradband connection is up. I need to capture the syslog entries of a full cold boot and that will tell me how long. Won't be popular if I start messing now :-)

And I DO run my own time server - on my lan, and it doesn't query it on boot but well later on. So far I've mostly been logged in to the console on reboots, and clicked the button to force a time sync when I've realised it hasn't done it.

• dazza1234
  • User
  • User
More
01 Jan 2018 19:59 #4 by dazza1234
My 2860 is a minute out from connection to sync no issues with that at all

• jimbox51
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Jan 2018 12:42 #5 by jimbox51
Ok I've done some testing on this.

On my LAN I have a NTP and syslog server. My Vigor2760 router is configured to use this for "Internet" time and syslog'ing.

When I reboot my 2760 the timestamps on the syslog entries are not correct until the WAN connection is up - which takes aprox. a minute.

If I disconnect the vdsl connection and reboot the timestamp were wrong (i.e. showing Jan 1 00:00 and up) until I logged in to the web interface 8 min and 47 secs after the reboot. I am guessing it took the time from my browser somehow.

These are the consecutive entries from the syslog...

Code:
Jan 1 00:08:47 copper.local Copper: [Web]WebUI login success from IP x.x.x.77 [admin] Jan 2 12:19:06 copper.local Copper: Local User (MAC=00-30-18-A8-06-0F): x.x.x.77:123 -> y.y.y.82:123 (UDP)

So it looks like the configured timeserver isn't quiried until the WAN connection is up, even though the timeserver in on the local LAN!
Anybody know if this behaviour is documented - if not then how do I report a bug ?

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jan 2018 17:44 #6 by mbames

jimbox51 wrote: if not then how do I report a bug ?

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/techquery