• theia
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jan 2018 18:36 #1 by theia
Controlling Netflix? was created by theia
Hi,

If this is the wrong forum can someone let me know the correct one please?

I want to be able to control the bandwidth of our family's two Netflix accounts using our Vigor 2860ac router.

- My understanding is that Netflix will take any bandwidth available.
- I also understand that Netflix quality limits can be made (and removed) in the Netflix account.

I really want to just ensure there's always 2.5mbs available whatever Netflix does. Somebody implied that QoS might be the way forward. If that is the way, I know nothing about this, so where do I start - or is there another way? :?:

Thanks in advance for any help.

T.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
11 Jan 2018 19:22 #2 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Controlling Netflix?
What Router are you using?

What ISP are you using, and what is the upload / download?

• theia
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Jan 2018 20:56 #3 by theia
Replied by theia on topic Re: Controlling Netflix?

silverstreak_2006 wrote: What Router are you using?

What ISP are you using, and what is the upload / download?

Hi Silverstreak

PlusNet. ADSL UP= 702,000, DOWn= 5,696,000
Which obviously is only really enough for one or maybe two, which is why the need to cap it from taking every bit of the connection.

T.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
12 Jan 2018 21:30 #4 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Controlling Netflix?
What router?

If it is a 2860, or 2895, login, and click bandwidth management, then bandwidth limit. Set the default Tx and RX at the top as 0, this is in fact unlimited. Specify start and end bandwidth as an ip address of one of the Netflix devices, and set the download (TX) in kb, and upload (RX) as 0 again.

Once you have set this IP, Bind the MAC address to the IP address so the router assigns the device the IP address everytime.

• theia
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Jan 2018 22:33 #5 by theia
Replied by theia on topic Re: Controlling Netflix?

silverstreak_2006 wrote: What router?

If it is a 2860, or 2895, login, and click bandwidth management, then bandwidth limit. Set the default Tx and RX at the top as 0, this is in fact unlimited. Specify start and end bandwidth as an ip address of one of the Netflix devices, and set the download (TX) in kb, and upload (RX) as 0 again.

Once you have set this IP, Bind the MAC address to the IP address so the router assigns the device the IP address everytime.

Thanks. Yes a 2860.
So if i understand correctly, this is 'saying' that all ip addresses are initially given unlimited bandwidth. However the Bound ip addresses of the devices running Netflix are given unlimited upload but 'a reasonable' download speed.
Just to finish this setting, can you confirm that the 'Allow auto adjustment to assign available bandwidth equally to active user.' setting is NOT ticked?

Thanks

• icornish
  • User
  • User
More
13 Jan 2018 20:15 #6 by icornish
Replied by icornish on topic Re: Controlling Netflix?
Hi, yes, ensure the Automatically asign box... this would just share out any *spare* bandwidth not being used.

Done this with my step-kids who *used* to come over and watch netflix because we had better wifi, until I did this and throttled them to a shared 2M pipe, so the rest of the house is not adversely impacted. Add time schedules and jobs a good'un.