DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862AC Slow HTTPS Web Control Filter performance.

• atterburythomas
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jan 2018 21:44 #1 by atterburythomas
2862AC Slow HTTPS Web Control Filter performance. was created by atterburythomas
Hi wonder if anyone can help.

I've set up Web filtering using the Cyren service. Blocking normal child protection items, advertising, malware, phishing etc. I'm not blocking any video services, social sites or any "normal" sites.

Successfully working when just used as a web service filter within the firewall default ruleset, however if I also add it in as a DNS filter for HTTPS filtering, HTTPS performance falls through the floor.

For example Youtube slows to 5-10 seconds to load videos or to skip through, when playing performance is ok but any that requires refresh is very slow.
BBC iplayer also become's unusable, and performance on HTTPS sites grinds to a halt in some places and is general very slow.

Anyone any suggestions?

Router 2862AC
Instructions followed for setting up filters https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-dnsfilter-wcf#firmware-3-7-x
Router Config - Default apart from WCF
ISP BT - (Parent controls turned on/off has no impact to issue)
Current Firmware Version: 3.8.7_BT (Latest)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2018 10:28 #2 by admin3
It may be worth checking with the support team whether there's a beta firmware available that might help with that, there was a similar fix listed for the newest 2860 firmware (3.8.6):

Code:
Improved DNS caching behaviour with Web Content Filtering and DNS Filtering enabled

Forum Administrator

• atterburythomas
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jan 2018 17:23 #3 by atterburythomas
Replied by atterburythomas on topic Re: 2862AC Slow HTTPS Web Control Filter performance.
Thanks for the advice, I've done just that.

More
09 Mar 2018 12:10 #4 by sweeny
Hi all,
Does anyone know if the beta firmware have helped with the slowness? I too an experiencing delays of up to 5 min when loading some web-pages. Any help will be gratefully received.
Cheers,
Tom

More
12 Mar 2018 11:37 #5 by admin3
The 3.8.8 firmware for the Vigor 2862 includes the fix from that beta firmware, could you try the new firmware to check whether it improves your browsing speed?

Forum Administrator

More
15 Mar 2018 15:23 #6 by sweeny
I currently don't use the routers DNS caching ability (please correct me if that is the way I should be using DNS filtering). I currently use googles DNS (8.8.8.8) on the LAN that the routers also uses and the router acts as a DNS proxy. This is however very slow. Yes I have updated to 3.8.8 and the issue is still ongoing regarding the latency.
Cheers,
Tom