• spike3312
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jan 2018 13:52 #1 by spike3312
Cannot access a server using WiFi was created by spike3312
Hi,

I have a setup where i have a server connected to a router (v2860) via WiFi (not ideal i know). This works fine and can be remote accessed from the internet. The issue i have is that in a different area of the building i use a laptop connected to an access point (a v2830) via WiFi, which is connected to the v2860 via CAT5e, the laptop is capable of getting on the internet but is unable to see the server.

See image below to explain better what does and doesn't work, presume its either a limitation on hardware or more likely a configuration error.

It appears that the router (v2860) is not passing data correctly between the wired part of the network and the WiFi to the server.

There is no VLAN's setup so everything is on one network.

Matt.

Link to image as embed didn't seem to work:
https://pasteboard.co/H3cfO2c.png

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• e.ringrose
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jan 2018 20:33 #2 by e.ringrose
Replied by e.ringrose on topic Re: Cannot access a server using WiFi
First thing to check would be on 2860, is Isolate Member enable on the Wi-Fi SSID?

Obviously the server would be better wired.
It wouldn't make any difference having the laptop wired or wireless as there is connectivity between the two routers, the only thing not working is LAN connectivity from the wireless which point to isolation being enabled.

If you connect the laptop (or another device) to a wired port on the 2860 you should be able to ping the 2860 et al. If this doesn't work there is something else stopping it.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
17 Jan 2018 01:22 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Cannot access a server using WiFi

spike3312 wrote: The issue I have is that in a different area of the building I use a laptop connected to an access point (a v2830) via WiFi, which is connected to the v2860 via CAT5e, the laptop is capable of getting on the internet but is unable to see the server.

I take it the connection between the two Vigors is via their LAN ports?

You could try (temporarily) disabling the Windows Firewall on the Server and Laptop.

Does Traceroute show anything useful?

• spike3312
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Jan 2018 10:58 #4 by spike3312
Replied by spike3312 on topic Re: Cannot access a server using WiFi
Hi,

Yes the two routers are connected via their LAN ports, both on P1 no intermediate switch.

Isolate member and isolate VPN are both turned off on the WiFi config page.

The server is a linux machine with no firewall setup.

I have connected the server to a LAN port on the 2860 and everything is working fine, but when dropping back to WiFi the issue persists.

Traceroute only seems to allow me to test via WAN not via LAN from the routers

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
17 Jan 2018 12:01 #5 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Cannot access a server using WiFi

spike3312 wrote: Traceroute only seems to allow me to test via WAN not via LAN from the routers

What about from the laptop to the server and vice-versa?

Given that they're on the same LAN, you shouldn't see any intermediate devices - you should either see a reply or "Request Timed Out" (or similar).