Xbox One S NAT Issues

• apolloa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jan 2018 01:58 #1 by apolloa
Xbox One S NAT Issues was created by apolloa
Hi guys, I bought a Draytek 2862 AC in the week to replace my BT SmartHub. I updated it to the latest BT firmware.

It’s connected and setup, I bought it as it’s tested by OpenReach and works with IPV6, something the SmartHub doesn’t do with my Xbox...

The trouble is, although my Xbox gets IPV6 fine, it intermittently gets a moderate NAT on IPV4? I have UPNP turned in and the hardware accelerator option turned on.
I can wake the Xbox up from sleep and it has an open NAT then run a NAT test and it goes to moderate, run again and it goes open again etc, wake it from sleep and have a moderate NAT. Also I had no issues with the NAT on the BT SmartHub, it was always open.

I am using wireless.

Any ideas in what I should try first? I’ve tried the port triggering but not sure I set it up correctly, I’ve now cleared everything back to default. Should I try port forwarding or opening?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• apolloa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jan 2018 19:53 #2 by apolloa
Replied by apolloa on topic Re: Xbox One S NAT Issues
Hi, I have some other questions..

Should I enable the DDOS attack blocking? Are there any settings I should make to speed up the router for games? Also I have enabled hardware acceleration and the message said doing this just removes the packets from the routers stats monitoring, are their any other effects that the hardware acceleration has?

More
24 Jan 2018 12:56 #3 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Xbox One S NAT Issues
For the sleep issue, you could try changing the UDP & TCP session timeout values - apparently Xbox live uses a lot of UDP sessions, which by default on the router time out after 180 seconds

In the router's telnet / command line interface (from the WUI, you can access that by clicking the sliders icon in the upper right)

Code:
DrayTek> portmaptime Usage: PortmapTimeSetting [- | ... ] -t : set TCP protocol session timeout. -u : set UDP protocol session timeout. -i : set ICMP protocol session timeout. -w : set TCP WWW protocol session timeout. -s : set TCP SYN protocol session timeout. -f : flush all portmaps (useful for diagnostics) -l : List your all setting

To set the UDP timeout to 24 hours:

Code:
DrayTek> portmaptime -u 86400 DrayTek> portmaptime -l ------ Current setting ------ TCP Timeout : 86400 sec. UDP Timeout : 86400 sec. ICMP Timeout : 10 sec. TCP WWW Timeout: 60 sec. TCP SYN Timeout: 60 sec. DrayTek>

If your internet connection is less than maybe 200mbps, it's best to keep Hardware Acceleration enabled.
DDOS attack blocking is mainly needed if the router is hosting servers / services, though it's usually harmless to enable.

You can set up Quality of Service and put your Xbox IP into Class 1 to give it highest priority, which will help latency

Forum Administrator

• apolloa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2018 21:34 #4 by apolloa
Replied by apolloa on topic Re: Xbox One S NAT Issues

admin3 wrote: For the sleep issue, you could try changing the UDP & TCP session timeout values - apparently Xbox live uses a lot of UDP sessions, which by default on the router time out after 180 seconds

In the router's telnet / command line interface (from the WUI, you can access that by clicking the sliders icon in the upper right)

Code:
DrayTek> portmaptime Usage: PortmapTimeSetting [- | ... ] -t : set TCP protocol session timeout. -u : set UDP protocol session timeout. -i : set ICMP protocol session timeout. -w : set TCP WWW protocol session timeout. -s : set TCP SYN protocol session timeout. -f : flush all portmaps (useful for diagnostics) -l : List your all setting

To set the UDP timeout to 24 hours:

Code:
DrayTek> portmaptime -u 86400 DrayTek> portmaptime -l ------ Current setting ------ TCP Timeout : 86400 sec. UDP Timeout : 86400 sec. ICMP Timeout : 10 sec. TCP WWW Timeout: 60 sec. TCP SYN Timeout: 60 sec. DrayTek>

If your internet connection is less than maybe 200mbps, it's best to keep Hardware Acceleration enabled.
DDOS attack blocking is mainly needed if the router is hosting servers / services, though it's usually harmless to enable.

You can set up Quality of Service and put your Xbox IP into Class 1 to give it highest priority, which will help latency

Thank you very much for the help, I have changed the timeout settings you suggested and will see how it goes.

If it works I’ll have a look at the QOS but may need some help. One thing I’ve had is a funny wireless issue, with my BT SmartHub I had the AC 5GHZ set to channel 48 with no problems, but I tried the same setting with the Draytek and it worked one evening but then in the following morning my devices lost connection? My iPhone was getting then dropping the connection and it repeated itself every few seconds.

I have the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands set with different SSIDs. I have set it to channel 60 now.

With the Draytek is it better to have one SSID and auto channel select?