FTP Server stability on Vigor 2860

• rob.nicholson
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jan 2018 15:58 #1 by rob.nicholson
FTP Server stability on Vigor 2860 was created by rob.nicholson
Has anyone here actually used the FTP server in the Vigor2860? I've got a 8GB USB drive plugged in the router as the syslog repository. Working fine but today I wanted to drag the logs down so I set-up FTP as I'm remote from the site. Got it working after a slight diversion of not spotting the 11 character password limit and using a 12 character password (wish-item - error trap this and display an error if too many characters are entered). FileZilla logged on and displayed the directory structure. Selected all items and queued for download. FileZilla managed to download a couple of files but then timed out.

I'd diagnosed the connection first with good old ftp.exe command line and now that won't connect either:

ftp> open 192.168.1.1
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
Connection closed by remote host.

When I open the USB device status window, it shows four connections:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9z2chiz81rkmpyh/vigor01.png?dl=0

I've tried to drop the connections but, as you can see, they are not dropping. Looks to me like the FTP server has crashed!

Is this normal or is the FTP server usually stable? Is there a way to restart just the FTP server without rebooting the entire router??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rob.nicholson
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jan 2018 22:05 #2 by rob.nicholson
Replied by rob.nicholson on topic Re: FTP Server stability on Vigor 2860
24 hours later and USB Device status is still showing the same four connections :-(

More
07 Apr 2018 12:43 #3 by mundayac
Replied by mundayac on topic Re: FTP Server stability on Vigor 2860
I'm seeing a similar behaviour on an older router (2830).

I have webcam's using ftp to send images to the USB device.

What I see are that the max number of connections are eventually always being used up. It seems that the connect/disconnect sequence works most of the time (which I've tested from a script) but occasionally the disconnect fails and the session is left open on the router.

Using the web interface and selecting drop/refresh does work, but only if done slowly with a significant delay between each drop. I've found it to be most successful when I view another page and then go back to the USB Device Status page between drops. Doing drop/refresh too quickly results in the router rebooting itself.

I've also tried via telnet and using sys ftpd off, leaving for some minutes then, sys ftpd on. This may be turning off the ftp daemon, but it does not clear the existing sessions.

All-in-all it does suggest that the ftp service is not so robust.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
13 Apr 2018 16:32 #4 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: FTP Server stability on Vigor 2860
SAMBA can play up too. AV's can play havoc, and leave corrupted files on there too.

• rob.nicholson
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Aug 2018 12:21 #5 by rob.nicholson
Replied by rob.nicholson on topic Re: FTP Server stability on Vigor 2860
Re-visiting this - anyone know whether FTP is improved in v3.8.8.2? Just realised my USB memory stick for syslog filled up. Am able to delete some of the old logs via FTP but not tried downloading them recently.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
11 Aug 2018 17:14 #6 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: FTP Server stability on Vigor 2860
Rob, it does vary, and can be touch and go. I have a 2860, and a 2925. I noticed one of the fixes for 3.8.9.2 on the 2860 was that the thermo devices was not being recognised. I am guessing this is an area of no to little interest in the business field, so get little to no attention for testing. I just use it for dongles when required.

I have never properly worked out if or what would cause reboots after 500 hours or so, if it was related to USB storage logging over numerous versions, but as I say, gave up with it, particularly SAMBA crashes, a nuisance.