Vigor 130 Ethernet ARP Cache

• thedunk73
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Feb 2018 13:34 #1 by thedunk73
Vigor 130 Ethernet ARP Cache was created by thedunk73
When I go to my ethernet Arp cache table I have 2 entries showing..
The first one is my router ip address 192.168.2.2
The second one is unknown ip address 30.19.160.1 which if I do a ip lookup comes back as DoD Network Information.
My question is should the second entry be there??
My ip provider is bt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
01 Feb 2018 18:18 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 130 Ethernet ARP Cache
I have BT based FTTC and use a 130 , I only have the router IP in the ARP cache.

Don't think it should be there, looking on Google others have in the past complained of the same thing but I don't see a sensible answer.

• thedunk73
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Feb 2018 18:25 #3 by thedunk73
Replied by thedunk73 on topic Re: Vigor 130 Ethernet ARP Cache
Cheers for reply, I'm at a loss tried factory reset and reflashing firmware even tried the alternative firmware but couldn't get that to work.. Reflashed back to v130_3812BT. The second entry is still present :cry:

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
02 Feb 2018 07:05 #4 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 130 Ethernet ARP Cache

thedunk73 wrote: Cheers for reply, I'm at a loss tried factory reset and reflashing firmware even tried the alternative firmware but couldn't get that to work.. Reflashed back to v130_3812BT. The second entry is still present :cry:

Try clearing the ARP Cache on your PC.

Use the NetShell (netsh) command to clear, delete or refresh the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) cache by following the following steps.

Click on Start button.
Click on Run command and type Cmd into the Run text box, and then press Enter. For Windows Vista or later OS, type Cmd in Start Search, and then press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to force Administrator privileges. Enter Administrator user ID and password and allow any permission request when prompted.
In the Command Prompt window, type the following command then press Enter.

Code:
netsh interface ip delete arpcache

• thedunk73
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Feb 2018 15:51 #5 by thedunk73
Replied by thedunk73 on topic Re: Vigor 130 Ethernet ARP Cache
Thanks for the reply, I have tried using the netsh command to delete the ARP Cache but unfortunately it says "OK" but the entry still exists.. I can also clear the entry within the vigor login page but it also returns instantly..

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
02 Feb 2018 22:43 #6 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 130 Ethernet ARP Cache
This is a bit odd, when you think about it...

If you were to deliberately ping 30.19.160.1 from a PC, it wouldn't show up in the PC's ARP cache - because that address is not found on the local LAN ... the PC would pass it to the default gateway (the router).

Likewise, it wouldn't be on the router's connected network, so it would pass it to its Default Gateway ... and it wouldn't show up in the Router's ARP table either.

So how does anything get into a modem's ARP table? (Other than the local 192.168.2.x address, which is on a local network).

Not having a Vigor 130, I don't know - but can you connect to its Management Interface and Ping the outside world? Would/do those addresses show up in the 130's ARP cache?

Maybe this was inbound, from the DoD :o