Vigor 130 DS Slows to a Crawl

• kenneths
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Feb 2018 10:38 #1 by kenneths
Vigor 130 DS Slows to a Crawl was created by kenneths
I have a BT Infinity 2 connection (FTTC) and have been using a Vigor 130 since July 2017, which has until recently been extremely reliable. Over the past few weeks something is causing my download speeds to come to a crawl (from a usual ~60Mbs to less than 1), although the upload speed (~12Mbs) and ping times remain unaffected. I am not very technically advanced, and have been unable to identify/correct the issue. Restarting the Vigor 130 when this happens always solves the problem (but it comes back in a matter of days or less). I did try running the alternate firmware provided by Draytek but the modem would not connect (it said Training in the status menu and I gave up after several minutes and went back to the 3.8.1.2_BT version).

Please help!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
06 Feb 2018 06:45 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 130 DS Slows to a Crawl
Do you have a spare modem or a BT Hub you can try for a week or 2? If the speed still drops you know the problem is external.

• kenneths
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Feb 2018 14:01 #3 by kenneths
Replied by kenneths on topic Re: Vigor 130 DS Slows to a Crawl

AdrianH54 wrote: Do you have a spare modem or a BT Hub you can try for a week or 2? If the speed still drops you know the problem is external.

That is a good suggestion. Unfortunately while I have the BT HH5 (still new in box, never used) my understanding is it is not possible to set it up in modem-only configuration and I really would like to keep my router in situ (it has been lovingly configured for my home network). But I may have to swap in the HH5 if I am unable to come to any other conclusion for why the speed drop is happening.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me! I really do appreciate it.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
06 Feb 2018 16:34 #4 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 130 DS Slows to a Crawl
It can be done , this thread tells you how to set up An HH5 BT hub.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Configure-Home-Hub-5-as-modem-only/td-p/1437081

• kenneths
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Feb 2018 13:06 #5 by kenneths
Replied by kenneths on topic Re: Vigor 130 DS Slows to a Crawl
Thanks so much Adrian for your time and help. My apologies for the delayed reply. Just wanted to report back that the problem seems to have sorted itself out, and the connection seems stable again. So, it may have in fact been something Openreach were doing at the cabinet or centrally that was triggering the problem (although there was no sign of activity at/in the cabinet and BT (of course) disclaimed any knowledge). Anyway, problem seems sorted. Thanks again!