• silverstreak_2006
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Feb 2018 17:10 #1 by silverstreak_2006
Draytek 2860 - TalkTalk VDSL was created by silverstreak_2006
Hi all

I have got a setup where I wish to connect a VDSL TalkTalk connection.

Each time the router boots, it syncs 3 meg slower than the D-Link that TalkTalk provide.

Out of several reboots, I have managed to get authenticated once, so I believe the configuration to be correct. I have tried both VLAN tag 101 on customer, and service and for the one time authentication it did work on service. I know the line is not all that, in the sense the distance from the FTTC cabinet to the property, the copper delivers about 10, 11, or 12 down, and 512 up. The Draytek was syncing between 8 - 8.4 down, and the upload was the same, just under the 512 up, or there abouts. I wondered if it was all ok, or if Vectoring or something was causing issues??

Any ideas would be great, note I tried the great Google searches, and verified everything I could? Could this be an issue with 3.8.6. anyway I gave up after a few hours, and thought I would ask you lovely people for ideas.

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverstreak_2006
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Feb 2018 09:52 #2 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Draytek 2860 - TalkTalk VDSL
Hi Everyone

A quick update, I was trying to set this for PPPOA / PPPOE, and not LLC, this will be tested today. I am confused how I managed obtain authentication once, however...???

I am still concerned about the modem speed however, and would like to know if I should try another firmware version for a modem code, one for poor(er) quality line, as the Draytek was syncing slower than the D-link they provided.

Again, any advise grateful.

Regards

More
18 Feb 2018 11:04 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Draytek 2860 - TalkTalk VDSL
Modem sync. speed will never be the same between different devices but you didn't say what type of lien and the attained speed was.

The VC/MPoA/login settings will not affect speed - they are unrelated.

Forum Administrator

• silverstreak_2006
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Feb 2018 11:12 #4 by silverstreak_2006
Thanks for coming back to me Admin
_
It is the typical VDSL2 with a long copper run from the fibre cab, causing a poor upload performance, but it works. The 2860 is running 3.8.6_BT firmware, which I believe uses the same modem codes as _03 from the Taiwanese webiste. Could any of the other ones be ideal in a situation like this? I do recall (correct me if I am wrong) reading, to use the _BT one, unless you have problems.

Also could you advise the best way to put screenshots up?

Thank you

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
18 Feb 2018 15:26 #5 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Draytek 2860 - TalkTalk VDSL

silverstreak_2006 wrote: The 2860 is running 3.8.6_BT firmware, which I believe uses the same modem codes as _03 from the Taiwanese webiste.

That's the one I have loaded, because I believed it to be the "Vector3" firmware, which Draytek previously advised me to use - so one of us is wrong :D

It shows up on the Dashboard as "Firmware Version 3.8.6_VT3 DSL Version 576D17_A/B/C HW: A"

3.8.6 is now on the UK site, and "BT firmware" is there as an additional (and recommended) choice.

(Given that my 2860 is connected to a Virgin Media Hub 3, I still don't know how any of this is relevant to me - but it did make a difference, speed-wise)

• silverstreak_2006
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Feb 2018 08:20 #6 by silverstreak_2006
Hornbyp

Thanks for coming back to me. I guess they have assumed this on the basis that if you did connect to the great Openreach copper, then that would be the most suitable firmware by default.

I just wanted to know if there is another version for those with poor lines. I wonder if I should use the none vectoring firmware?

Thanks