Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

**Draytek 2862 w/ BT - General Web Browsing

• pmits
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Feb 2018 09:54 #1 by pmits
I have a Draytek 2862n Series router to replace our BT Hub.

The 2862n router has been set up with the basics to provide internet access and tested with just a single laptop wired to the Draytek which is connected to a filtered BT plate. This has no issues connecting and shows a 35mb connection down and 10mb up.

The problem is just general speed browsing the internet. More often than not, browsing web pages gives the spinning wheel of doom. Sometimes it is quick and others it'll have a think about it for a while. Other times browsing will almost grind to a halt.

This is not the laptop - it does the same with any device connected. Additionally, if I plug the BT HUB back in, browsing is back to normal.

I have contacted BT and run through the settings required for a standard connection with three BT staff. Each one has confirmed there is nothing wrong with the settings. They have run tests on the line, which come back fine (works with BT Hub anyway as I pointed out). I have plugged a phone in, there is no crackles or quietness on the line.

On an odd note, I thought I had this cracked last week and all was fine for 4 days - then it started misbehaving again.

The settings below are what I have run through with BT. Additionally, I have also factory reset this and have only added in conneciton details. Settings are:

Router

Firmware: 3.8.7_BT
DSL Version: 779517_A/B/C HW: A

WAN Setup

Physical Mode: VDSL2
DSL Mode: Auto
Active Mode: Always On
Wan -> Internet Setup
PPPoe/PPPoA: Enabled
VPI/VCI: 0,35 (38 tried)
Encapsualtion: VC MUX
Protocol: PPPoE
Modulation: Multimode
MTU: 1500 (default) - (Tried 1492-1488 as suggested)
Username/Password: myaccount details (have tried with @btbroadband.com to test)
Fixed IP: Dynamic (have tried with the static)

Apart from the, the rest of the router currerntly is set as standard and has been factory reset (again).

I'd appreciate if anybody has any ideas/advice - especially if they have a working Draytek Router with BT.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2018 18:39 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: **Draytek 2862 w/ BT - General Web Browsing
You do have the VLAN tag (101) entered?

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
21 Feb 2018 19:14 #3 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: **Draytek 2862 w/ BT - General Web Browsing
Code:
VPI/VCI: 0,35 (38 tried) Encapsualtion: VC MUX

these are adsl settings , nothing to do with vdsl and can't be changed in vdsl mode.

As Piste says check that VLAN tag is set.

• pmits
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Feb 2018 19:48 #4 by pmits
Yes, I have the VLAN tag 101 entered.

I posted the VPI/VCI settings as this is what BT "support" keep banging on about even though its VDSL - I know, don't go there.

This has pretty much as basic settings as you can get - i've left anything else as default from factory reset.

Additional Update

I had a Draytek 2860n with 3.7.4 firmware that wasn't being used. So i configured it exactly the same and although it was reporting only 24mb instead of 35, web browsing was reasonably consistent.
So, I upgraded it to the latest BT firmware 3.8.6 from Draytek using the .all to keep my settings - This reported at 36mb. I did notice that this firmware didn't leave the DSL router code at Default, it selected Annex_Axxxxxx.
Browsing was pretty rapid, in fact it appeared faster than the BT Hub. Then after around an hour or two of consistent browsing, back to the circle to doom and browsing back to snail speed if at all.

It certainley is making hair loss easy!

• mpattman
  • User
  • User
More
22 Feb 2018 13:02 #5 by mpattman
Have you tried disabling Hardware Acceleration?

More
22 Feb 2018 14:54 #6 by admin3
When you see problems occur with browsing, could you try doing a speed test to see if throughput is normal or if that's dropping?
If it's normal, please contact support for assistance with what might be affecting your general connectivity at times.

If the speeds are lower than expected or if you're seeing connection drops, do try the Standard (STD / 776d07) modem code to see if it makes a difference.
The BT modem code is based on the Vector1 (VT1 / 779517) so it's not going to make a difference to try the international VT1 modem code.

Forum Administrator