DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 130 to LinkSys EA9500 - No Internet! Please Help!

• the artful dodger
  • Topic Author
More
25 Feb 2018 12:30 #1 by the artful dodger
Hello:

I have used a BT HomeHub since number 1 and lately 5A. But, the other day I saw this Linksys router advertised and thought to myself "Now is the time to sever the cord"! So, I bought it, and, guess what? No modem! So, on the advice of another BT sufferer, bought a 130. But now, although I can set up the router, it will not connect to the internet!

On the advice of Linksys, I tried to connect to the 'net simply through the 130 but no joy! My conclusion: The 130 isn't set up correctly.

I am therefore hoping that someone out there can feel my pain and help me set the 130 properly. My BT internet is Infinity FTTC. The 130 Firmware is 3.8.1.2.BT which I believe is the latest. I have made no changes to the settings in the 130. Should it work "right out of the box" or do I have to change settings. I know about signing in to 192.168.2.1 as I have looked in there but most of it is meaningless to me so I left it alone!

I would appreciate any help you can suggest! Thanks in advance.

Sparky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2018 12:43 #2 by adrianh54
It should work out of the box.

Try connecting the Vigor 130 direct to your PC , create a connection , set a static on your PC of 192.168.2.10 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and the gateway: 192.168.2.1 . You should be able to connect to the modem via 192.168.2.1 in a browser.

Check you have a VLAN tag of 101 . If all is working you connect then modem to router and in the router config add your BT log in details.

• the artful dodger
  • Topic Author
More
25 Feb 2018 13:59 #3 by the artful dodger
Replied by the artful dodger on topic Re: Vigor 130 to LinkSys EA9500 - No Internet! Please Help!
Hello, Adrian:

Thanks for the reply. So far, the first set of instructions have worked fine - so I can connect to the modem.

Now, to the router. First of all - there are 3 VLAN items that can be configured, but I assume the one you intended me to configure is the Internet one. I changed the ID to 101, and then there is a tag option {Manual, M1 (Fibre), Maxis (Fibre Special), Maxis (Fibre), SingTel (mio TV), SingTel (other), StarHub, Unifi (@ Business), and Unifi (@ Home). Of these, I selected Manual and left the priority at 0.

In another site, I see that they suggest "untagged" but I don't have that as an option.

If all of this is correct I have no way of knowing and I'm hoping you can tell me if I have selected correctly.

I set up the BT internet username & password in the PPPoE section and hooked up evferything! Result - Still no internet!

Hope there are more suggestions or I've made a bad assumption somewhere!

Sparky

• the artful dodger
  • Topic Author
More
25 Feb 2018 14:52 #4 by the artful dodger
Replied by the artful dodger on topic Re: Vigor 130 to LinkSys EA9500 - No Internet! Please Help!
Hello,again:

Success!! I was looking at the VLAN menu again and I happened to focus on the Tag dropdown, clicked on it, and there was "untagged". I clicked on it and, lo and behold, there was an Internet connection!

I can't thank you enough for your suggestions - I have been working on this for 5 - 6 days and after two routers, I thought my wife was about to throw me out of the house!

Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions - I knew nothing about VLAN and I still know nothing except the setting the router requires!

Sparky